DjangoBooks.com

The Loar 309vs

2»

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited October 2020 Posts: 3,319

If you are trying to play it acoustically yeah bronze round wounds. Electric I'd go flatwounds (if you want that darker modern amplified tone and no string noise) but they won't have much oomph acoustically.

vanmalmsteen
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Thanks, I think I’ll just try bronze for the acoustic quality, because it’s already decently loud even with these big flat wound strings. I wonder how much it affects the volume and tone, having a pick up mounted on the top like that?

well I guess we stick pickups on the top of our GJ guitars without much penalty

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

About archtop strings: Flatwounds are fine for mag-pickup amplified playing, especially for that classic single-string jazz sound, but to my ear they're far from effective for acoustic swing rhythm--low volume and even less high end than an old, dead set of bronzes.

The challenge is to find a string that works well in both modes. Conventional phosphor bronze (preferaby mediums and up) are fine for acoustic, but there are string-to-string balance problems that are only partly addressed by adjustable polepieces. There's some love for monel, since the windings are magnetically active, or "white bronze" or even the DR Zebras, but I finally settled on the pricey but long-lasting Thomastik BeBops (the 014-055 set) for my amplified archtops. They're nickel-wound, but the acoustic sound has enough "chunk" to satisfy my Freddie Green delusions, and they last much longer than, say, Zebras.

BucovanmalmsteenbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsconstantine
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I second what Russell said, but with a twist. I'm using Thomastik Bebop roundwounds on my Epiphone Joe Pass, but I like the .12's on it. I didnt like the way flatwounds sounded on the Joe Pass for rhythm, it made a swooshing sound when the pick hit the strings for my la pompe that annoyed me. I never tried bronze acoustic strings on it. But I've been very pleased with the Thomastiks & they last a freakishly long time. Less waste is always a good thing, in my view.

vanmalmsteenbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

well dang.... now I have to purchase a dedicated acoustic arch top! Thanks guys lol

mac63000
  • edited October 2020 Posts: 92

Thomastik Infeld round wound Bebop's all day long. i would go with the 13's because the g string is wound and you will get a more even volume output. Just my humble opinion. Cheers

vanmalmsteen

these Diadario Chromes where pricey so leave them on for a while, but definitely going to try the thomastik bebops(if not for just the name alone LoL)!

• Monels sound great on acoustic archtop and not too shabby if played electrically. Since I seldom play acoustically, I’ve settled on Tomastik Flatwounds.

vanmalmsteentnhughes