DjangoBooks.com

Django’s first guitar solo

I’m working on understanding the Django timeline a little bit more and maybe eventually writing out a time line of important events from a musical perspective rather than just what was going on in his life.

Does anyone know the first full guitar solo he took on record? I’m discounting some of the early musette or big band recordings where maybe took small fills.

Comments

• I would say it would be in the musette era with his banjo, you can find a few short solo's or licks of him playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWJo_rmgoBc

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Do you mean the first solo where his solo is the main attraction? Or any time he's soloing?

For the later, I'm not actually sure, but I would check some of his early stuff when playing banjo in the late 20's - early 30's, for example Jean Vaissade, Daunou Orchestra, Jean Sablon, etc. I do know you can hear him playing guitar behind Michel Warlop in La Chanson du Large, which is from the early 30's.

For the later, I'm not sure I could pinpoint "he's the dude soloing" until we get to things like the Django Reinhardt Trio (e.g. Tiger Rag).

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Isnt this one supposed to be the first?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Yeah I should probably just clarify with his first “jazz” solo that takes up at least a full chorus. So far I think that may not have happened until August 1934. I’m listening to the pop stuff he recorded in 1933 but I think that most of that stuff only has an occasional guitar fill.

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

He made several recordings with singers in 1933 and 1934 where he took solos but the first time you really hear him play full length jazz solos is on the poor quality private acetates he made with Joseph and bassist Juan Fernandez in August, 1934. He then recorded “I Saw Stars” and “Confessin” in September, 1934 with “Delaunay’s Jazz” which had become The Quintette of the Hot Club of France when the same personnel, minus Bert Marshal, recorded again in December, 1934.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Refer to Ultimate Django Book pages 8-10 (attached)

Buco