DjangoBooks.com

Discussion of picks -- in German

Anyone able to translate the gist of this very long discussion/demonstration of picks -- in German?

rudolfochrist

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited October 2020 Posts: 1,302

I just listened to the first 3 minutes but if you put the closed captioning on (CC) and go under the gear settings for Auto-translate to English, it does a pretty good job. It doesn't understand "Stochelo" , "Django" or "Joscho" but if it is just the gist you want, this will do it for you. The guy on the right likes the Wegen pick. Also "pick" seems to translate to "beck"

Also "spieler" meaning "player" as in guitar player is sometimes mistranslated as "games" coming from the word "spiele."

Buco
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100
    edited October 2020 Posts: 139

@billyshakes nailed it already. Perhaps I can give some more info on top of that:

The right guy (with the Bordeaux-colored shirt) prefers the Wegen Big City 2.2mm picks, because he saw Stochelo using it. The guy on the left prefers the normal Dunlop Gator Grips 2.0mm because he tends to lose picks and the Wegens are too expensive to be lost. He also doesn't use the point, he's using the wide side. He grips it very short so he plays not only with the pick but also with parts of his fingernails. He said, gripping the pick that short puts him "closer to the strings" and this produces a better sound to him.

Both recommend the Wegen GJ 2.5mm (the de facto standard gypsy pick) because they like the sound, but for they it's too pricey and too heavy to be the number one pick.

The guy on the right brought a pick made of some material that is pretty close to tortoise, but he forgot its name. That pick is super heavy and super thick (5mm? They didn't tell). For rhythm it is great but for lead it doesn't play as good as the others.

The guy on the left brought a Guzz pick and he likes that it can be played on three different sides for different sounds (even though he doesn't do this as much). Further he likes that it produces a warm sound with less treble. A warmer Wegen GJ 2.5.

After that, they conclude that the pick alone doesn't give you the gypsy sound, you also have to have the right technique. Then they give a short explanation of rest stroke and provide some examples.

Nice video. I enjoyed watching it.

billyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsKlausUS
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Cool, @rudolfo.christ . I'll take your complete translation from a fluent speaker over my passable understanding of the language!

rudolfochrist
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Thanks everyone!

I think Stochelo uses the 1.8mm Big City, but I also like the 2.2 version.

And I think the "normal" Wegen Gypsy pick is the 3.5mm version (or at least it used to be).

• rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

And I think the "normal" Wegen Gypsy pick is the 3.5mm version (or at least it used to be).

ah sorry, I mess that up. They’re talking about the 3.5mm version. Sorry for the confusion.