DjangoBooks.com

Transporting guitar on flights

I'll be traveling in North America from between the west and east coast and am interested in bringing my guitar with me. Do you guys have any experience in bringing your guitar on flights with you? I'm a bit hesitant to check it in since I've heard so many stories about guitars getting damaged but am not sure if I'd be able to bring it on a flight either. How do you guys deal with this issue? I'll be going on a good number of flights over the next few months and would hate to not have my guitar with me for that long. Thanks for any advice you guys can provide!

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I like to travel with my all-metal resophonic guitar!

Do your worst, airlines!

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I don't think anything really ever happens on flights. You'll probably be good!

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I've flown to Europe quite a few times with a guitar. It's always a concern for me even though it;s a relatively short flight. I always have to check it in and pay for it which I don't mind. I modified a rigid Hiscox case by removing the insert section and then that;s big enough for the guitar which is picked inside a foam carrying case. It's a tight fit but gives the guitar some more protection and it means that when I get to my destination I can sling the guitar on my back and not have to carry the pretty heavy Hiscox case around all day.

So far, after about 8 or 9 trips it's all worked well with no damage to the guitar. Oh and I always loosen the strings and remove the bridge. The only time something happened was when I was waiting to board a flight and could see the baggage handlers loading luggage, including my guitar onto the flight and one of them dropped it. I was shocked but there was nothing I could do. When I picked it up at the other end I immediately checked it and, thankfully, it was fine.

BillDaCostaWilliams
    always learning
  • edited November 2020 Posts: 13

A good case could help.

If you have money to spare I'd recommend either a Hoffee or Calton case if you want peace of mind.

I personally own a Hoffee case and I think it was worth the investment.

Michael sells cheaper carbon fiber cases on djangbooks.com

Hope this helps...

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/carbon-fiber-gypsy-case

https://www.carbonfibercases.com

https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/bam-manouche-case

https://www.calton-cases.com

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

About cases: You need to think about crush and impact, which means that the internal padding is as important as the shell strength. In fact, I suspect that the most common hazard is impact, since getting dropped (or thrown) is a more common occurrence than being run over by a baggage truck. Hoffee and Caltons have very good records for the run of hazards, though they might not be cost-effective for guitars that cost less than the case. And even with one of those I would consider adding a case cover, partly to protect the case from dings and scratches and partly because it adds a bit of impact-softening on the outside.

My additional defense: If I can't carry the guitar into the cabin, or if there's no space for the rather large flight case, I make sure to gate-check it. That minimizes handling and keeps it out of the automated baggage system, which can literally chew up a case. Between my flight case (an out-of-production foam/rigid-shell design), cooperative flight crews, and decent baggage-handlers, I've flown for years with my good guitars. (With any luck, I'll do so again, someday.)

I would not trust an ordinary hardshell case, and never, ever a gig bag, even a high-end one.

I checked-in my very precious guitar back and forth to Tokyo using a Hiscox case:

https://www.****.com/Hiscox-Gypsy-Jazz-Guitar-Case-p/pro-aciihiscox.htm There was an error displaying this embed.

I was nervous as hell each time, but the guitar remains intact.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Unlikely to have something bad happen... but it only takes one time. When I fly with guitars, I use the below steps:

Step 1: Get a good case. Soft cases have a better chance of being kept in the cabin, but if it gets hand-checked or worse you're screwed. Hard-shell case is a must, and flight cases are better (but nearly guaranteed to be checked). A hard case with a material exterior are my go-to because it's easier to persuade flight attendants to stash in-cabin or hand check.

Step 2: Loosen strings, remove and store bridge

Step 3: (assuming you didn't buy a ticket for it, but you want to try to carry-on) Ask flight staff before flight if they'd be able to store it in the hanging closet to avoid taking overhead space.

Step 4: Try to board as early as possible

Step 5: If they can't store it in the hanging closet or in overhead, demand a hand-check and to receive it at the gate when you arrive (similar to a stroller). It cannot go through the luggage conveyors.

Step 6: If all the above failed, just be happy you followed step 1 and hope for the best.

• dboxdbox New

Christophe, re step 5: does that mean you never check your guitar at the check-in desk / before the security check? Sounds like you always bring it to the gate with you and hope for cabin storage, and if that fails you check it at the gate upon boarding?

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@dbox Yes, that's exactly it.

dbox
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

A hard case with a material exterior are my go-to because it's easier to persuade flight attendants to stash in-cabin or hand check.

@ChristopheCarington Which case is it exactly? I’m searching since ages for a gig bag large enough to house a hard case with my guitar inside for exact the same reasons. Thanks in advance 🙏.