DjangoBooks.com

Monel strings?

Has anyone tried these Martin "Retro" "monel" strings? I have them on a short-scale 12-fret D-hole guitar (with the 1st and 2nd strings changed to the same as Argie 011s). I enjoy their "rebound" and tone.

https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Retro-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings/dp/B06X9ZRZ7G

Comments

• I’m not sure I’d want them on a selmer style, but they’re my go to for my reso and archtop

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

Yes, I use them on my archtops...40s L7 and a 50s Levin. I also used them on a Gibson J200 and I really liked the sound. Overall more mellow than bronze strings. Can't say I considered them on a selmac style guitar because for me, the strings make a large part of the manouche sound.

• bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

I use 13-56 gauge Monels on my 1934 L-7. Last forever and hold their tone.

• Used them for quite awhile on acoustic archtop and they’re great. I prefer Tomastik flats for electric archtop.

Don’t think I’d try them on GJ guitar. They can’t be as dry as Argentines and not sure if the tension would be ok for Selmer design.

I'd give them a shot. Extra light gauge fits the bill. I tried a few of Martin silk and steel varieties in the same gauge but didn't like them on my guitar.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

@Buco where’s the pick in mouth photo?

The Monels are for archtop only. They would be awful on Selmacs.

GouchBuco
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 4,735

@bopster it was misrepresenting the fact. That I don't use Big City picks any more.

He already tried them and likes them.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel