DjangoBooks.com

Recommendations & reviews of USB microphones for GJ guitars...?

Hi all,

I have a guitar buddy who’s in the market for a USB-compatible microphone to record acoustic gj guitar... no video, strictly audio...

Does anybody out there in radioland have any good’uns to pass along?

I’m not sure what my friend’s budget is, so perhaps you could indicate the price range...

I would imagine that something around $100 would be fine, but what do I know?

Myself, I use a good old Shure 70 microphone plugged into a little USB mixer...I don’t know how good that would be according to 2020 tech standards...? But it’s good enough for me anyway...

Thanks,

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• stuologystuology New

Hard to go wrong with a blue yeti.

Buco

What Stu said. They pretty much set the standard in USB mics. Yeti Nano is exactly $100.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • stuologystuology New

I don't know - I've got the first one, never tried the second one. Blue Yetis are basically the Argentines of USB microphones. They are solid, good quality and with a cheap adapter can plug into an iPhone.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I have a yeti that I've used to record band practice back in the day. The biggest difference is some extra bells and whistles on the regular yeti:

• Additional pickup patterns such as bi-directional & Stereo
    • Full size 3/4" thread for mounting on a boom mic stand

However, the yeti Nano has a few things going for it as well:

• 24-bit depth vs 16-bit (A small, but welcome change)
    • USB-C plug vs USB-Micro (cables more easily replaced)

They're both plug & play. They both have cardioid (record only himself) and omni (record the band in a circle like Django). They both have a gain knob and a headphone monitoring jack to make sure he's not clipping the mic's pre-amp before going into his computer. They're both okay mics for some basic home recording and practicing.

If I was buying today, I would probably opt for the Nano. The 24-bit depth and more easily replaced cable are more important than putting a mic like this on a boom stand or the additional pickup patterns.

Buco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Thanks, Christopher, very helpful.

Since the Nano can’t go onto a boom stand, would one put it on a table top to play into it?

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Yea. You can technically get an adapter as it does have threads (just not the standard size).

However, I rarely ever used the boom stand as you have to unscrew the stand. It's just easier to put it on a table next to your laptop. Just make sure it's not on the ground if everyone is stomping their foot to keep time.

• BonesBones Moderator

Does anyone have a link for the adapter? thx

• edited December 2020 Posts: 4,730

I'd need to double check but I'd think it's the 3/8" to 5/8" adapter, that's pretty standard. Like this one

If so plenty of them out there, here's one

Edit: somebody in Amazon's questions section said Yeti Nano has 1/4" thread. Here's a listing for both sizes so you'd be covered either way

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel