DjangoBooks.com

Archtop vs GJ strings & pick

GregOGregO Tarpon Springs, FLNew Eimers Nympheas

RE J. Stephan's NYE concert: do you think he'd be using the same pick and strings (style/gauge) on the archtop as the D-hole?

Comments

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

A link would help. (Though I would doubt that an archtop and a Selmer-style would take the same string sets, even if the archtop were set up for electric-only playing.)

• GregOGregO Tarpon Springs, FLNew Eimers Nympheas
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

It looks like it might be the same pick (Wegen Big City) based on the color. Not sure about the strings though.

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

One can only guess as to the strings on the Gibson, but I'd be surprised if they were the same kind as those on his Selmer-style, which sound exactly like Argentines or other conventional gypsy strings. Those strings would not work very well with the mag pickup on the Gibson. I suspect, though, that the Gibson is wearing a lighter set than I would use on that guitar--the tone is mellower than I get with Thomastik BeBop 55/14 set I use on my Eastman--and that it is set up with pretty low action.