DjangoBooks.com

DJANGOLOGY SOLO ANALYSIS PART 1 – SAMSON SCHMITT

DjangoBooksDjangoBooks Seattle✭✭✭ All of them!
edited February 2021 in Technique Posts: 446
imageDJANGOLOGY SOLO ANALYSIS PART 1 – SAMSON SCHMITT

Free transcription and in-depth analysis by the illustrious Denis Chang!

Read the full story here

billyshakesBucorudolfochristJosechikyBillDaCostaWilliamsScoredogBones

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Nice work Denis!

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Lot of info here. Looking forward to studying it more thoroughly, but thank you for sharing your work here. 🙏

• JosechikyJosechiky

Brilliant!Thanks for sharing your insight.

Thanks Dennis. In a way it confirms what I thought is at least occasionally happening and what my ears are telling me. Even though in discussions there's a lot of emphasis on always outlining the changes, what happens in practice sometimes is just thinking about the key center. Of course players as experienced as Samson is can make it work better than others.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Yes the idea of "playing changes" is a lot more complex than it seems. I was the same when I was starting out. It's a matter of understanding where the harmony is going, where the phrases are going, where the tensions/resolutions are, etc. It's a mix of all these things that all the great improvisers understood. I started using the term "harmonic direction" recently to explain this concept. It's really a spectrum: on one end you have the idea of outlining every single chord, and on the other side, you have the idea of playing in the key centre.

rudolfochristBucobillyshakesBonesJosechiky