DjangoBooks.com

Saving Le Quecumbar

2»

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

End of an era! It's a bit sad to see, but I suspect they've dug their own grave in many ways

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

......suspect they have dug their own grave......?

How so?

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I was planning a trip to the old country from next week and that would have been one place on my list to visit. I know Battersea well enough but having left UK in the year the QuecumBar opened I had never been there. I have the CDs 'Allstars with Lollo Meier' and the 'International Gypsy Swing Festival' featuring many names, both of which recommended the venue to me. Now I can't go there. Sad.

• stuologystuology New
    edited August 2022 Posts: 196

It was a noble venture but it was struggling before the pandemic - the last time I was there, me and my friends were the only people in the audience.

I imagine that Wim is referring to the polarising nature of some of the personalities there - and the restaurant gained a reputation on trip advisor for rudeness, completely undeserved in my experience.

With the IGGF also gone, it feels like an era in UK gypsy jazz has passed.

Ok, I knew nothing of the history or the people involved. But I guess if there is the will to keep the music alive something else will turn up, I well remember the late Ian Cruickshank's GJ events at various places around Oxfordshire more than twenty years ago, maybe it is time for someone else to step up.

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

While I'm sorry to see any venue close I have to say I agree with Wims assessment that they didn't help themselves with their treatment of patrons.

always learning