DjangoBooks.com

Di Mauro | Guitar Archive

imageDi Mauro | Guitar Archive

Luthier: Antoine Di Mauro Model: ? Year: > 1950 Serial #: none Top: massive Back and Sides: laminated, mahagoni Neck: ? Tuners: ? Tailpiece: ? Pickup: Owner: Willie Jakob Location: Hamburg YouTube:

Read the full story here

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

I found this beautiful sounding and playing guitar on a flea market for musical instruments in Hamburg half a year ago. Their is no serial number or note anywhere in or on it. Tips from several persons (thank you, Michael!) led to the realization that it was built by Antoine Di Mauro, perhaps in the late 40ies. I cannot identify the model; Di Mauro model "poema" without cutaway that I found in the internet has got a smaller body. I am thankful for any hints leading to more knowledge about this fine instrument .

Willie

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitz

Great find and story. Thanks for sharing.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

As I'm alone this evening, I'm passing the time posting some more pics of the guitar, accompanied by it's sounds. With a decent technique of my right hand it would be more fun (to play and to listen) - but every beginning is difficult. Just of little demonstration of my new favourite (hope my Epiphone doesn't hear this), here it is:

Still wondering what model!

Greatings

Willie

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamswimBones
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Sounds terrific.

Sounds very nice.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I love the yellowed look of the tuner buttons. This guitar looks like something Emmet Ray would have played.

I dig!

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I have never seen a Di Mauro with that body, although if it is I would suspect Joseph rather than Antoine. The yellow button tuners and tailpiece are both from Delaruelle who supplied many luthiers around Paris including Di Mauro. The headstock shape is right, but many others made similar ones, the soundhole decoration is not typical Di Mauro and neither is the bridge (obviously that could have been added later). Good luck trying to identify it anyway.

• BonesBones Moderator

Score congrats!

Dear Chris, thanks for helping to solve the riddle by adding information about tuners and tailpiece.

The bridge is not authentic, to my opinion, Di Mauro used shorter ones without moustache.

Why Do you think Joseph instead of Antoine?

German luthier Michael May identified the guitar as Di Mauro ("ohne Frage ein Di Mauro!") because of headstock and tuners, french luthier Jérôme Casanova as Antoine ("Il s’agit bien d’une guitare produite chez Antoine Di Mauro vers 1950"), Michael Horowitz too has "little doubt that it's a Di Mauro" (and called it a "cool guitar" - that made my poor heart beat faster). Bertino Rodmann of jazzmanouche.de supposed it was model "Poeme", but obviously those got a totally different body shape: