DjangoBooks.com

Black and white

How do y’all approach the dominant chords in the first portion of this tune, it’s seems to call for some altered stuff but I can’t quite find phrases that I’m totally happy with, what do you suppose Django was thinking?

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I think it begins (2 measures for each chord): E7, Em7b5, D7, Dm7b5, C . . . .

So, after E7, you flatten the 3rd and the 5th. of the E7 chord, etc.

You could practice m7b5 arpeggios.

Yeah, the m7b5 I have down, but playing my typical dominant/altered lines over the E7 and D7 just don’t seem to quite capture the tune the way I want them.

you can treat the Em7b5 as Asus7b9, dm7b5 as Gsus7b9 and get a nice dominant chain that leads to C:

E7 Asus7b9 D7 Gsus7b9 C

if you choose a line that fits the D-minor harmonic scale over Asus7b9 you do have the C# as a third of A7 available.

I think the choice of the bass notes along with the susb9 is responsible that it is not that easy to hear! Its a little bit like Brasilian harmony to me, folk music in disguise:)

• edited March 2021 Posts: 50

i'm sorry if i misunderstood your Question...

from what i hear Django first works with the melody notes e-f making the first E7 an b9 chord...

the next time he plays b-a-g#...

so i think a-harm. minor is used over the E7, g-harm. minor on D7, a typical choice in this style!

Altered will work over E7 but is rarely used in GJ since it creates quite different melodys and it won't work with the Bassline E7/B.

• BonesBones Moderator

I have not studied the song but the progression just seems like E7, A7, D7, G7, C. You could use your diminised (dom7b9) ideas over the cycle of dominants.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

You could also think of it as

E7, Gm6, D7, Fm6, C . . . .