DjangoBooks.com

Advice on resurrecting old picks

2»

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I lay the pick at the edge of a flat table, tip to the left, other end to the right. Then I rotate it counterclockwise 45 degrees. Then I sand parallel to the table edge, but at a 45 degree angle up and down (for a 45 degree bevel). I make sure I don't sand all the way down to the other face of the pick. Then I "feather" the bevel, by rotating the pick on the table both directions (one at a time) while sanding the same angle (but not as much). I watch to see that the bevel sightly goes past the tip slightly.

Then I flip it over and repeat.

All this with maybe a 350 sandpaper, then higher grades light sanding to smooth, etc.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

What ever you do, do not use a Dremel tool on your pick. It will melt the plastic. Use hand tools and fine sanding papers only. It’s a little more work, but you can control the effects much better. I’ve seen videos of Jokko making pics and except for the original cutting and final polishing, he does all his work by hand.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsTwang