DjangoBooks.com

BYO - Tuning Machines.. length of barrel?

Can anyone please quickly give me the length of the barrel (from faceplate to end of barrel)?

The tuners I have are too long to fit in the headstock!

what length do I need please? Thank you x

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I don't know but I do know that some people file down the length of the barrel so it's shorter.

always learning
  • bluemovesbluemoves New

Aha yes, I came across that 'hack' in the course of my research today..! I've just tried it on a budget set of tuners - ground off the ends with a grinder wheel - seems to work ok.

Now, convincing my dad (who is building the guitar - his first manouche) to let me do the same thing with his set of nice Schallers is gonna be a different story!! :D

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I believe the length is usually a similar standard but the shape of some headstocks does vary. Fitting Schallers to a narrow tapering Di Mauro certainly required some work at the grinding wheel; the ones nearest the nut; low E and high E fitted ok, but due to the taper the A and B needed a little off and the top two, D and G a few mms more. Unless someone here knows of anyone making sets to fit that shape I guess it is what all luthiers would have to do. Of course, if you made the headstock wide enough in the first place......