DjangoBooks.com

Take the Eddie Lang challenge!

13»

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Hey, Vic, is your buddy an Andy Sannella fan?

Andy was a studio musician who doubled on sax and steel guitar...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Good think I have month to work on adjusting what I came up with. :P

edited April 2021 Posts: 1,855

I hope we will be seeing more entries soon, but in the meantime, please allow me to suggest a couple of approaches nobody has tried yet...

... what if Carl Kress were entering the contest?

... well, then you would hear a whole lot of chords and very few single notes...

...let’s pretend that Louis Armstrong doubled on guitar... what if he entered the contest?

...well, then you’d hear one big chord hit and then a whole bunch of virtuoso single notes...

... IOW, a technique going right back to jazz’s early days, the “break”...

... in which all the other instruments suddenly stop while one solo instrument plays a hot 2-, 4- or 8- bar fill...

i am especially suggesting the second technique for some of our DB members who come out of a rock backround...

... what if you were to hit that Am chord and then use all your flashy C major pent stuff for seven beats..?.

...and then hit that G chord and do the same thing with all your flashy G major pent stuff...?

Might it work? Only one way to find out!

Good luck! Have fun working on your submissions!

Will

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

Is it too late to join in the fun?

edited May 2021 Posts: 1,855

Not at all.

The deadline for submissions is midnight May 15th.

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

A process question: when do we start providing our likes/votes?

A good question, Bill.

On May 16th I will post whatever final entries come in.

Then on May 17th I will start a new thread.

This thread will offer a compilation MP3 of all the entries, one after the other.

After hearing that, DB members will be invited to PM me at a special address, voting for your favourite entry, and commenting upon it if you so desire... as well as commenting on any other entry which attracts your attention, for better or worse...

I will allow about the folks here at DB about three days for listening and voting, and then hopefully reveal the overall winner on or about May 20th....

Will

BucobillyshakeslittlemarkBonesrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams

OK, LAST CALL!

Contest closing time will be in about six more hours!

Get to it right away, ye procrastinators!

Will

Contest is now closed...