DjangoBooks.com

BYO Jean Barault construction of a selmer book review

2»

Comments

• nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭

I dont know about unfair, your book has the information I need, and the Barault book wont necessarily help you build a guitar, so its alright by me hehe.

littlemark
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Might be a project, for some GJ luthier, to write a "companion book" to the Barault books, with detailed plans for every mold, jig, template, etc. shown in the Barault books. These would be assuming the standard Selmer-shape design.

• nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭

Brilliant idea

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

That could be a good idea in general but not just for the Selmer dimensions.

I am making a mould by reverse engineering from a Di Mauro, although 'reverse engineering' may be too fancy a term for what was basically tracing the outline on to some sheets of mdf. There are plans to make this mould adjustable for another shape too but without going into detail here if I can do it, anyone can. But there are many ways to make the moulds and jigs needed, probably all valid in their own way, although I suspect most on this forum who have tried have just worked it out for themselves.

A book on moulds and jigs would be another huge subject again so why limit it to Selmer or Barault copies as the basic techniques would apply to any such tooling for guitars and luthiery in general.

Jean Barault makes Selmer copies and the dimensions for those, or the Favino style are on the plans which are easily available. Others may prefer other dimensions.

There are various ways to make moulds and jigs, all in their way correct and usable, but if someone were to want to write that book there are other engineering principles outside of standard luthiery that may come into play.