DjangoBooks.com

BYO - this is giving me a stiff neck

Guys,

We've finally decided to go with 2 carbon fibre rods and no adjustable truss-rod.

Eeek! I've just started to get panicky about adjustment (well, lack of scope for adjustment) down the road..

(For a start, how does one even get neck "relief" in the first place without an adjustable rod?! - is this why G Guitars can't have low actions?)

Seems like you get ONE SHOT to get the neck angle (and consequently the action) absolutely right first time or you're screwed..?!

Now I'm freaking out :/

Please soothe my frazzled nerves fellas :D

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2021 Posts: 3,319

Wow exciting to see your progress!

Yeah that's why I use a truss rod. That said never really had to adjust it much (and you shouldn't). To get relief (a SLIGHT upward bow) I dress the frets DEAD flat (with no strings on obviously). Then when you add the string tension it gives you just a bit of relief. If your neck is stiff enough the relief will not be too much, but just about right. That is one reason you don't want a "rubber neck".

Note, neck "angle" is different than "relief" and is not really related. Neck angle, relief, and action are different things entirely. You get your neck angle that you want from the geometry (scale length, bridge height, pliage or lack thereof, top arch, top bracing, number of frets to body, etc. "parameters"). Make sure you do your math and quadruple check it to get the neck angle right. If you post your parameters and what neck angle you are shooting for I can do a reasonableness check on it if you like. DON'T just copy the Charle plans or "wing it" or you might be way off. You can change neck angle if it isn't right but that is painful. Double check, triple check, quadruple check. As they say, "measure twice cut once".

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

billyshakesbluemoves

These guitars can have low action, as low as any. And will sound fine if you play them like your average acoustic guitar strummer. It's the genre specific technique that puts demands on the setup.

You'll be fine because your dad knows what he's doing. Many top luthiers use no adjustable rod, most of early Holos didn't have one.

Looks good!

billyshakesbluemoves
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel