DjangoBooks.com

G strings

All joking aside, it seems my g strings wear out faster than all my other strings. I use Argentines, and about once a month they start to separate around the 7th Fret. All the other strings are fine.

Does this happen to anyone else? Am I doing lots of g bends?

Is this a known phenomenon?

It's annoying and expensive. I just bought a pack of single G's.

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,854

Yeah, same thing happens to me too... so I guess you could call it a known phenomenon.

I guess the G string is just the most vulnerable string, being the smallest wound string.

If anybody knows something to be done about it, please! I would like to know about that, too.

littlemark
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

It's normal. A pack of single G's in the guitar case seems to be a popular mitigation. Surprising how replacing only that dead G can bring a fresh sound back to the whole guitar.

Another way around that's less common, try using an unwound G. Savarez don't make them, but it's pretty easy to find whatever brand regular acoustic guitar strings with unwound G. Think I used Dean Markley's. It worked well and maybe even sounded better for those tunes which have some melody notes played all the way down to the G strings.

rudolfochristBonesBuco

Interesting. I've never played non wound G's. I use heavy strings usually.

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

I recall reading somewhere on the forum people discussing a method of giving a few twists to their strings (I think this was easier with loop ends) and that seemed to prolong the useful life of Gs.

For what it's worth, it hasn't happened to me with Optima strings.

#thisonesforourfallenGs

What do you mean a few twists?

• BonesBones Moderator

yup, common issue. they sell individual strings.

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

To tighten the string windings. I don't know the exact method.

Perhaps someone will correct me if that's not the correct word. 🤣

PS: After a quick search; that seems to be to brighten dead-sounding strings rather than to prevent string wear.

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

If I'm not mistaken, the g string in a set of Argies has the most tension on it of all the strings. Michael, or many of the others on this forum with more knowledge than me, may know for sure. I know that when I go to change my strings & cut the g with my wire cutters, it makes the loudest pop of the bunch, and sometimes the section of the string with the loop on it shoots across the room. Maybe that's at play with the wearing out of it? Regardless, I'd say you're doing well to get a month out of your sets. That's when I change mine, always trying to catch them before the intonation starts to go. It also precludes my breaking a string at a gig.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,454

That is correct.

Tensions for 1510MF gauges

Tensions for 1510 gauges

The twist trick means taking the loop end off the tailpiece, turning the loop over a few times and popping it back on. I've never tried it, in all honesty, but I'm sort of skeptical about that making any difference beyond a placebo effect :)

BucorudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BonesBones Moderator

Hey MikeK. You might want to slack the strings a bit before you cut them off??? IDK if it makes any diff but I slack them.