DjangoBooks.com

The History Of Gypsy Jazz

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited May 2021 in History Posts: 2,161

Hello folks, thought I’d share this video with everyone here. I had been meaning to do this for many years, and I finally did it. I originally wanted to do this with the participation of many of my contacts but alas, for obvious reasons, I have not been able to travel for the past year and a half! There’s a lot of information that I left out as well. I really did try to keep things as concise as possible and to just focus on certain aspects, but the problem is you often have to explain subtle details , and that’s where I sometimes go on a tangent. I did try to limit that though!

One thing, is that Django’s grandson, David, is very interested in his family’s and his people’s history. I hope that when borders open again, I can interview him and let him do the talking on that aspect of history.

I didn’t go into detail about playing style as that would cause me to speak for another hour or two! I ‘ve made other videos in the past that do cover some of that as well! If you guys have any questions that weren’t addressed in the video, then maybe I can address them in a future video. Enjoy!

Lango-Djangorudolfochristgeese_comBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsAzazzellVebjørnJSantaMichaelHorowitzBonesand 3 others.

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    edited May 2021 Posts: 461

Thanks for doing this @dennis . Lots of great info in there. It was a long video, but watching at 1.5x speed made it go a little quicker.

• PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Hi Denis, thank you for doing this. Watched last night, you provide a lot of detail in the fascinating history of the Manouche! Its complex as you described and deserves more than one viewing.

You mentioned: "...originally wanted to do this with the participation of many of my contacts but alas, for obvious reasons, I have not been able to travel for the past year and a half!"...

Given that during the Pandemic the majority of us have benefited from Zoom meetings and the like and you shared Paulus texting you from his Smart phone, did you have the option with some of your Manouche friends to invite them to participate virtually?

Cheers, Phil

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Hello , I had considered that but there are certain problems. A lot of my contacts don’t have wifi, and often live in places with very poor coverage, and I’d like to have some sort of production “minimum” standard in my videos. Some are also really not good with technology haha but who knows maybe i’ll find a way, but the way things are looking i should be able to travel within the next year... I hope!!! thanks for watching!