DjangoBooks.com

Blue Drag lyrics

13»

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    The version of "Swanee River"on Integrale #3 with the horns is actually from the March 1935 sessions and is probably Oscar Aleman, though it might be Django. It's not in Haederli's Django discography, I suppose that's because of there's a question about who the guitarist actually is. It IS in Haederli's Oscar Aleman discography, and he says that the other tunes that day were "Mama Don't Allow", "How Come You Do Me...", and "Blue Drag". "Swanee River" was the only tune of the eight from those two sessions that was ever officially released. Haederli says that test pressings from the March '35 session do exist so it's probable that the version of "How Come..." you have comes from that session. Which is interesting because I've never seen any of those March '35 recordings except "Swanee...". "Ukjent" means "unknown" in Norwegian, BTW. I still think that absent real evidence to the contrary, your recordings are almost certainly from the March '35 sessions. If the April '35 sessions did not make onto the Integrale series, they probably don't exist.

The "Blue Drag #2" with the boozy singing was recorded on a wire recorder at Jean Sablon's house in 1936.

Delauney's discography was relatively accurate for it's time, as was Max Abrams' "Book of Django". But those documents are outdated. I believe that the most accurate modern discographies are Fredi Haederli (unpublished) and Paul Vernon ($100+ at Amazon).
  • bbeshoarbbeshoar Longmont, CONew
    Thank you for your very informative replies. Much appreciated.

I'll keep looking in the hope that one day a Djangophile will find a test pressing in a flea market in Paris, and that he or she will digitize it and share it with the rest of us.
  • djangadjodjangadjo NebraskaNew
    "I'll keep looking in the hope that one day a Djangophile will find a test pressing in a flea market in Paris, and that he or she will digitize it and share it with the rest of us."

I'll bet R. Crumb could locate it. One of the world's best collectors. He probably doesn't do digital, though.

LES PRIMITIFS DU FUTUR

Could be reached through http://www.rfcharle.com/
    87 Rue de Dunkerque: "The bow must go up and down."