DjangoBooks.com

Down-Up Rest-Stroke Picking at Slow-to-Medium Tempo?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

pdg- this is really interesting discussion but it's hard to relate for me since I can't really do the 'fast bounce' :-)

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I don't think it would come across on a video, unfortunately. I can't play as fast as the fastest players. But when I'm playing more medium, it's sort of "snap-down", pause, "snap up". Versus faster tempo -- shake (swing) your wrist down and up continuously -- letting the "rest string" break the fall and maybe help rebound, and letting gravity do the reverse after the upstroke. More continuous. (I'm afraid I'm not explaining very well how it feels to me!)

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator

Really interesting. I'll have to analyze what it is that I'm doing but I definitely have terminal velocity. Haha, if you show me how to play fast I'll show you how to play medium!

BucoWillie

I think I'm picturing it. It's really interesting, never thought that could be the case.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 4,735

Ok this is interesting. As I mentioned elsewhere, since I got that thick pick from you I noticed that when I play loud I like the sound it produces on high strings more than with the Blue Chip. Which I prefer the tone of it more when I play at the bedroom volume.

So to test further I asked a friend to borrow his 5mm pick which I gave to him a few years back since I never used it. It's hand made by Rino out of the old PVC pipe. It's a good pick, super well made bevel but the click bothered me too much. And this pick produced much nicer tone on the high strings when I play loud.

But there's something else which really surprised me. And it somewhat ties into this conversation of the rest stroke picking followed by rebound when playing consecutive double downs. Extra thick pick seems to help that rebound vs a thinner pick. I don't know what is it exactly but it's easier. The best players are pretty much able to play their stuff with any pick they hold but I'll take some extra help.

It's funny, but I seem to be coming a full circle back to big picks.

Vebjørn
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

If you decide to ditch your Blue Chips, I'll take 'em! :-)

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BonesBones Moderator

Hey Buco, what's "bedroom volume"? :-)

vanmalmsteenBuco
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I started using Gator grip 2.0 in 2007 and never looked back! I like that it is super rigid but the material it is made from mellows the tone considerably.

• edited August 2021 Posts: 4,735

Like if someone were to call my name in the middle of the night that would be bad and bad bedroom volume.

vanmalmsteenBones

I think I picked up the term here on the forum. By the way, talking about terms that pop a question mark for me is "angular melodies". What the hell is meant by angular melodies??