DjangoBooks.com

Changing Strings

Hey all -- are there any videos you can point me to on how to change strings? I have the strings, I'm just nervous. And I live in a place where people appreciate hiking and camping more than they appreciate fine arts so I'm LOATHE to hand it over to someone.

How scared should I be to try and change my own strings?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Here's a vid Robin Nolan did earlier this year. There are several techniques you could use, this is one. I've skipped ahead to the main part

jragrudolfochrist

Don't worry about changing your strings. The worst thing that can happen is you over tighten a string and the string breaks. The guitar will be fine.

billyshakesjrag
  • TwangTwang New

I thread the string through the hole. Leave a bit of slack in the string. Immediately wrap the string the opposite way the peg winds and tuck it underneath the string. As soon as you start winding this short end will be trapped tight underneath the first wind. Needs less than one wind to hold it although I usually leave enough slack for a couple of winds. Job done.

found this method in a little manual that came with a yamaha guitar years ago. Used it ever since.

billyshakesjrag
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@Twang I'm similar to your method. Found it at this website many years ago. Nice pics of each step.

jragBillDaCostaWilliamsTwang
  • edited July 2021 Posts: 4,730

Dug out this thread. Lots of info in it.

https://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/13447/restringing-technique/p1

The method discussed is very common on these guitars. But I've since been using it on my flattop Martin and works just as well. It's the fastest way to replace a string I've found and there's barely any period of string slipping after you tune it up, usually I tune it up and it stays.

Twangjrag
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

If you live in a place with wild temperature or humidity changes you might want to wait for a day of moderate temp/humidity just so you don't shock the instrument (like around 70F/50%. Or just change one string at a time. Slack the string first, don't just cut with wire cutters at full tension.

jrag
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Always just change one string at a time, by unwinding the old string and winding the new one to pitch, before doing the next one.

vanmalmsteenbillyshakes