DjangoBooks.com

Greetings From Seattle

northernernortherner Redondo Beach, Wa.New
in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 6

Hello, I'm a recent transplant here in Phinney Ridge (north Seattle) and a Gypsy Jazz rhythm beginner. I would guess, judging from the last "Seattle hello" posting (2008), there aren't many folks around that are new to GJ.. But I thought I'd give it a shot.

Best,

-brian

mac63000

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Welcome to the board! If you are new to GJ, you couldn't have chosen a better location than the Pacific NW. Home to Pearl Django, home to Djangofest NW, home to Michael & Djangobooks....

I started my GJ path in WA about 20 years ago, though I no longer live in the area. I wish you much fun and joy on your own journey.

vanmalmsteenWillieBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitz

Welcome and greetings from Outer Banks NC

vanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliamsWilliebillyshakesAzazzellrichter4208
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • northernernortherner Redondo Beach, Wa.New

Thanks much, Billy. It's really pretty here. It's going to be interesting to see how Covid-2 shakes out in Seattle as we seem about to go into re-mask mode.

Hello Buco. That shot looks about as inviting as it gets! Thanks for posting that.

I'm researching and compiling a list of 20 priority songs to learn the chords and rhythm to. I'll post the list to see if folks want to chime in with their opinions about what the priority should be. I'm finding some of these songs are more sentimental than others, and I feel more drawn to the cooler tunes.

I'm in the realm of an intermediate guitar player, but I've got plenty of time on my hands, and luckily, my fingers are growing more flexible and strong.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@northerner Don't go to all the trouble of researching your 20 tunes. The cool folks at Django in June have already done that effort and provided you a resource.

I'm referring to the Tier 1 standards (24) in this link. Jack Soref has even done a video to help you choose and learn some of the idiosyncratic chord shapes to this style. Don't worry about getting them all at once Just trust your ear and find a few shapes for each chord flavor (major, minor, dom, etc) that you can play that you like. The rest can come later. And if you get a chance to attend DiJ when they start hosting again, it is a great time!

rudolfochristBuco

^^^

Thanks again, Billy. This is enormously helpful.

High hopes for a healthy 2022.

billyshakes

@northerner no problem, I was looking for the opportunity to sneak it in. Water temperature was 72-73. Not that I'm rubbing it in, just saying... I understand that's a luxury for you on the Pacific side, especially northern Pacific.

As Bill said don't have to look further than the DiJ essential list. Those songs will have all or most of the common voicings and chord progressions. Even before that though, listen to those songs all the time and get intimately familiar with the melodies. It sounds like a given but I've met people who would struggle to memorize a chord progression then I'd realize they can't really do the above.

One song from that list, Manoir De Mes Reves, doesn't have a link for the backing track but Dennis put one up since that list was compiled.

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Hey, thanks again, Buco. You're quite the helpful soul.

Ha! Yeah, that's really warm water, and that reminds me of swimming in warm California slow-moving streams during Summer. I was kayaking Lake Cushman a couple weeks ago and assumed the water would be super cold, but it wasn't bad at all.

I hear you, I'll make a point to digest the melodies. Great advice!

Buco

Sup gents?

As far as jazz guitar accoutrement goes, I need a new big fat gypsy pick. Does anyone have a recommendation for a jazz guitar shop? I live in Phinney Ridge. Would prefer not driving downtown because some bulldozer might get me -- or a road grader -- or a ...

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B
    edited March 2022 Posts: 248

You're right around the corner from @MichaelHorowitz who could hook you up. In the case you haven't found a place since your post in September 😅

northerner