DjangoBooks.com

14 fret short scale dimensions

Hi guys.. I am thinkin about getting a 14 fret short scale… falled in love with ajl j’attendrai but Inhave soe quesions tonask:

• is it there any video to listen to it!?
  • What is the size of the neck out of the body? I mean is the guitar smaller in total lenght than my dupont nomade? I feel comfortable with my gitane D 500 is the j’attendrai model similar? I mean does the short scale 14 have “shorter” single frets? So that from the 1st to the 14th frets is smaller than a 670 scale?

I hope I was clear in my questions😅☺️

thanks in advance

luca

Comments

• BrettNBrettN New

Hey Luca, I’m pretty new to the world of GJ but have started looking to upgrade from my first GJ guitar. Prior to this I was playing a lot of finger style thumb picking stuff with the occasional chord melody on a Kirk Sand nylon string model which has a shorter scale and I found it so much easier than a regular scale length. Moving to GJ and 670 scale lengths was a tad hard for me initially so I started searching online to see if a shorter scale length was an option. I too fell in love with AJLs J’Attendrai and also found examples of other great builders -Eimers, Holo and Dupont to name a few -that all offered short scales in a petite bouche. I think I read somewhere that the shorter scale entails the bridge to be moved closer to the sound hole, but I’m sure there are many others around here that can tell you for sure. I think there maybe a comparative photo on one of these guys Facebook pages comparing a regular Selmer to a transitional model? Anyway…hope you get the info your after, can I ask you why you want the short scale- is a playability thing or a sound thing?

• BonesBones Moderator

"the shorter scale entails the bridge to be moved closer to the sound hole"

Yeah for sure. It's a geometry issue. The shorter scale and 14 frets to the body causes the distance from the neck/body joint to the bridge to be much shorter and the distance from the bridge to the tailpiece to be much longer.