DjangoBooks.com

Ebony?

2»

Comments

• GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

I recently made a “summer” bridge out of clear eastern rock maple, it works great and looks cool. I was going to dye it black but left it untinted. I copied all dimensions including the underside hollowing from my ALD Original ebony bridge.

• BonesBones Moderator

Oh cool, yeah I've used rock maple for necks. Super stiff and stable but kinda heavy.

Yeah, use a Dremel and go slow to hollow out a bit but don't over do it. Don't forget ur safety glasses :-)

vanmalmsteen
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited August 2021 Posts: 337

Haha

exactly!

Well I robbed the bridge off of my cedar top F hole to use on my Eastman, so maybe that will be its future home…..the f-hole will get the ebony bridge….. Will be interesting to see how the cedar and Ebony like each other

Buco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

For what it’s worth: I replaced the original bridge (rosewood I guess), on my Altamira M01f with a summer bridge in ebony but didn’t notice a difference sound-wise. Mind you I wasn’t particularly attentive as I didn’t expect a change in sound quality.

Bucovanmalmsteen
  • edited August 2021 Posts: 4,757

You get all these either or opinions and then Bill comes and says it's well it's all the same 😀 thanks for the voice of reason, Bill.

vanmalmsteen
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Apparently I’m missing out on the “summer bridge“ craze

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 959

And I use a hybrid rosewood/ebony bridge on my Di Mauro for a few weeks each year in Spring. It is made from a laminate of 2mm strips of each and then hollowed out by hand (a Dremel would be too rough), but this is only for those tricky weeks where winter transitions into summer.

vanmalmsteenBucobillyshakes
    edited August 2021 Posts: 337

Nahhh,

totally Legitimate…. Although hundred percent hand whittled summer bridge sounds way beyond my capacity, I’m gearing up for next summer. I have a couple of clunky $10 bridges that I got off eBay, those will be a good starting point. They need some serious weight reduction, and they’re not compensated? Perhaps just slant it

ChrisMartin