DjangoBooks.com

New CD from Gwen Cahue drops tomorrow

nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault
edited August 2021 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 123

Hi All,

Gwen has had this in the hopper waiting for favorable touring conditions before releasing and that time is now. It is available starting tomorrow Aug 20th. It's not GJ per se but lots of nice ballads with Gwen's usual incredible arrangements. You can listen to one of the tunes here on YouTube:

You can order CD or mp3 downloads here:

You can also download mp3s from Amazon:

Margin Call by Gwen Cahue, William Brunard, Julien Cattiaux on Amazon Music - Amazon.com

Enjoy!

wimrichter4208Vebjørnvanmalmsteengeese_comrudolfochristWillieadrianbillyshakesJSantaand 2 others.

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Just gave it a listen. Great album. It is nice to hear music in this style that are not the usual songs that get played.

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

How I've never heard of Gwen is just awful. Love what I've heard, album ordered.

• nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

Yeah he's an incredibly talented guy JSanta. He's also very humble about his abilities. He was supposed to be at Django In June last year but the pandemic kept that from happening as we know. There is a possibility for next year though. We'll see!

You might also check out his work with Melkoni Project and Louise Perret. They have several videos on YouTube and I believe they are planning on releasing a CD later this year. Check them out here:

• scotscot Virtuoso

It's interesting that both Gwen Cahue and Antoine Boyer/Yeore Kim have both recently recorded and released "Exit Music for a Film" - a tune I was not familiar with. Quite something to hear how these two superb young guitarists, who are at the front edge of modernism in this style, approach the same tune at about the same time. I certainly do enjoy hearing these young fellows pushing the limits!

nomadgtrrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL
    edited August 2021 Posts: 262

Some of the Radiohead tunes like Exist Music (for a film) and many others are almost becoming the 21st century versions of standards. I'm really happy to see jazz and classical musicians seeing the importance of Radiohead and their contribution to popular music and taking their own interpretations on them. Josh Cohen has done some incredible solo piano interpretations of Radiohead, and has demonstrated how the lush melodies and musicality Radiohead has can be applied to almost any genre.

nomadgtrBuco
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,457

Sebastien plays it too https://youtu.be/z9wCXWPHqms?t=1747

Drifting off topic here, but actually a lot of jazz musicians play that tune and I wonder if it's partly due to Brad Mehldau's interest (1998 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2UlLKoBR8, OK computer originally was just 1 year earlier in 1997). He also did Knives Out, Everything in it's right place, Paranoid Android ..

JSantarudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@scot I noticed that same thing on song choice. Love that Boyer/Kim album lately.

Buco

It's interesting to listen to William Brunard's bass treatment on the two tracks, it's very different.

nomadgtrbillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel