DjangoBooks.com

looking for Gypsy Jazz instructor recommendations in Seattle

Hey everyone, I'm about to move to Seattle for college, and as the title suggests, I figure that this is great opportunity to take some gypsy jazz lessons, since if I inferred correctly, this city has a lot of gypsy jazz activities going on.

In short, are there any recommendations for a gj, or even hot american swing jazz instructor in the Seattle area? I'm currently looking around and I thought this place will be the best place to ask. I'd reached out to Ryan Hoffman who previously played with Pearl Django, and he says his schedule is a bit tight right now. I'm not ruling him out, but also still keeping on the search.

I'm your standard classic rock player who knows pretty much only the pentatonic scale but loves gypsy jazz and American swing and hot jazz deeply, but when it comes to playing those styles, I'll be an absolute beginner, so I am very enthusiastic to dive into those new areas.

All inputs welcome and greatly appreciated.

Cheers, and thank you very much

Tagged:
rudolfochrist

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Djanofest NW is happening Sept. 22-26 on Whidbey Island. I would love to go just for the workshops. Brad Brose has a few really interesting workshops and I would love to attend ****'s guitar set up workshop. Of course Paul Mehling, Michael Horowitz and Evan Price (violin) are on the schedule as well.

Bucorudolfochrist
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

I live near Seattle, let me know if you wanna jam. Here's a track I made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqciNntZYoY

You might have to copy and paste the link.

360-292-9029

• VicBulbonVicBulbon New

Hey Rip, thank you very much for offering, but I'm still very inexperienced, but I do look forward to jamming with you in the future. Obviously, I'll be in Seattle for at least 4 years.

bbwood_98djangology
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@Rip Nice track, are you are same one that came to NYC fro stephane wrembel's First Django a Go Go?

Man I remember your playing then - Superb stuff - @VicBulbon - go jam, get a lesson. Rips ideas are invaluable and he's both chill and a fantastic guitarist! My Advice, Don't wait. . .

Rip - I hope you are still mixing in that Frisell Sound with the Django thing - man I wanna play (lead) like that!!

B.

djangology

Yes, B, that was me. Great memory and thanks for the compliment! Did we hangout that night? I still love mixing in a little Frisell. Are you playing much these days?

Hey Vic, I do give lessons.

[email protected]

360-292-9029

Also, B, I don't know how well you remember that night back in 2004, but Stephane showed some footage of Django that is still not on YouTube!!!

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Rip,

Yes, (Ben Wood - just so you know) we hung a bit, I played rhythm for much of the jam, and with robin K and alfonso at various side things then; I had a 7 string Dell Arte at the time.

And yes, I remember that, and at one point I had much of what was in Stephane's library, but that hard drive died . . . you know how it goes.

Hopefully we will get a chance to jam again someday sooner rather then later!!

B.

Ben Wood! Yes, I didn't put it together, I clicked on your website link, but it said nothing found?

Yes, I'd love to jam again.

Do you have an email address for the next time I'm in Brooklyn?