DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Demo Video: Bumgarner Corazon, Barault 503, and Zwinakis Selmer

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

It would give the edge to the Bumgarner, but that is probably because it was just recently set up. Otherwise, the Barault is just perfect to play for me, which has not had a setup up probably since January 2021. It fits like a glove. The neck on the Zwinakis is kind of odd and bigger than the other two so that makes it a little more difficult to play.

• BrettNBrettN New

Thanks geese_com. I'm saving now for something really good in the old Selmer style sound and I'm just smitten with what I'm hearing and seeing from the Baraults. Wished I'd never started looking at Jean's Facebook page! Thanks for getting back to me and glad you like the guitar(s)...happy playing man 😀

If you pick up a Barault, you won't regret it. I owned one previous to the 503 replica and that guitar was pretty amazing as well. There is something in the way that Jean builds it that make them great.

Buco
  • edited September 2021 Posts: 1,231

Interesting as I've owned a Zwinakis, currently own a Bumgarner since 2014, and my playing partner of the last 14 years has owned (2) Baraults. The Zwinakis was entirely too hard to play but it was a good foray into this world. The Barault has some very nice qualities about them, but the first one had some major build flaws (rendering it unplayable but replaced free of charge) and the other moves like crazy. I personally find them entirely too thin sounding, but I understand that all of that is subjective.

The Bumgarner hasn't moved an inch. This could all be a function of microclimate and whatnot as with the movement with the Barault. Caveat emptor.

geese_combillyshakesrudolfochristBucoKlausUS

It is true that a lot of it is subjective. To each their own.

This is the second Barault I have owned and both Baraults were exceptional guitars in build quality and tone. Everyone who played them were very impressed.

Here is a similar video I shot with my previous Barault.

Jim Kaznoskyrudolfochrist

I'll just say that the Barault guitars I played on more than one occasion, couldn't be more different in tone. One was nice but to me an average guitar and one was probably the best I've played. Latter was 503 copy.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • @geese_com I've seen that video. Granted, my sample size is small and I kind of know what to expect having played a fair amount of these guitars. I just prefer to have one that's going to work consistently on gigs, especially when we just have to hit. It could be worse ---we could be reed players on gigs in the middle of the summer and winter.

That being said, you're making the right kind of videos.

billyshakes
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Guitars made by the same maker vary quite a bit. I met Peter Zwinakis here in Santa Cruz California when he was selling the last of his handmade Gypsy guitars. He advertised them on Craigslist and I went to his home where I played his last three guitars. One was great, the other two were not great. When I asked for his best price on the one I liked, he told me that one was not for sale (and was his "keeper") but that the other two were. He found making Gypsy guitars to be a less than profitable hobby and he told me that his next venture was going to be making Fender Strat/Tele necks (I wonder how that turned out for him?). Needless to say, I left without buying a Zwinakis that day.

I own a Dupont and a Shelley Park but I have played guitars made by both makers that would not be satisfactory for me.

I liked the Barault the best in this Demo video by far.

BucoJim Kaznosky
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

For me the sound of Corazon did it.

Jim Kaznoskygeese_comJSanta
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • I'm glad @geese_com landed two good ones. Rolling the dice on a guitar at premium prices is risky (to me) and these guitars are getting pricier by the day. Obviously, we're lucky on the electric end where we can just either go try one, send one back if ordered online, or just have it set up correctly.

geese_comChristopheCarington