DjangoBooks.com

Djangobooks colab songs: leadsheets and arrangements, propositions and sketches

2»

Comments

• edited September 2021 Posts: 4,735

That's fine, 120, I was playing through at both 130 and 140 today and they both feel good.

PS what would be super awesome is to put it in 7/8 feel. But I can't be causing headaches lol

PPS I was just playing it at 120, I like it. It's still very bouncy and danceable.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited September 2021 Posts: 825

@Buco

7/8: "Makedonsko devojce", "Ajde Jano" or "Jovano jovanke" as the project of next year? 🙃

Bucobbwood_98

@Willie Yes, I'd love to record one of those. And some of the Bosnian sevdah too. Former Yugoslavia territory has an extremely rich and diverse traditional music, with Macedonian maybe the nicest.

It was a 9/8 groove I had in mind (made a mistake with 7/8), 1-2 1-2 1-2 1-2-3. It actually fits like a glove with Duj but would probably be a pain to record remotely.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@Buco - no, that feel is super fun - would be wild to try that at some point!!

So usually I hammer on the chord, then strum a semi mute for 8ths, hammer, strum, hammer, strum, hammer, strum strum.

This technique, once nailed and your mind has adjusted can be used on almost any time signature - a favorite trick is to take our normal 4/4 and play 10/8 - 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2, 1-2 - accent shifting for soloists or for rhythm solos.

Great Macedonian tune in 9 is niska banja.

A great American tune I've adapted is lullaby of the leaves in 7/8; with both 2,2,3 and 3,2,2 feels.

ok, sorry - might be a bit obsessive on this topic.

Ben

BucobillyshakesWillie

@bbwood_98 Oh that's awesome, we'll have to do something along those lines in the future! It's very cool that you're familiar with Niška Banja. It's a Serbian song, named after both a spa and a town in Serbia. I'll try this grove you described tonight.

I'll share some progress on Duj Duj tonight. I'll write a chord chart soon as well.

AndyWWillie
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@Buco - not sure how to share this, but I've got a great video (from many years ago) of Jean Paul Watremez teaching this technique at DIJ (and the tune). His performance that weekend with Vladimir Molov was pretty wild as well.

Buco

When I want to share with forum people only, I upload to YouTube as unlisted and link it here. I'd like to hear it. A lot of this kind of stuff is about hearing the groove first and just play the rhythm to match the groove. I think I got what you wrote above, I was just trying it. What I played on Duj recording is that except I played a bass line over the last 1-2-3 part.

rudolfochrist
  • BonesBones Moderator

Yay, I got finished with a major project yesterday and took the guitar out of the case finally for the first time in a loooong time. Fun!!

AndyW

Good stuff, I'll get on with J'attendrai next week.

AndyWWillieBones

Wanted to post some work before the week is up. Was going over the J'attendrai last few days. I need to practice more along Django's playing to get the cadence of the thing better. There's a section in it where as it is I find it very awkward to play the melody over, I think I know which chord I'm rushing. Plus there are some pops is this recording, no idea why and where from, so I need to record this again anyway. I'll do that next week to hopefully record the rhythm track too.

WillieBones