DjangoBooks.com

Heinz Becker

Carlo GentenaarCarlo Gentenaar The Netherlands✭✭ John Le Voi
in Repertoire Posts: 77

Hi, does anybody here know anything about Heinz Becker? There used to be a website papabecker.com it had a vast archive of Django's recordings with credits and info on when and where the songs were recorded. About a month ago I noticed the site was down. There are some examples on his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/bibi1944

grts, Carlo

wim

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso

If there are things you want to read there, use the last entry on the wayback machine. Nearly everything from the site is archived there. Hopefully he'll put it back up, it was a good resource.

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Thanks, Scot - took me a little while to figure it out but you're right, one can access it that way:

• Carlo GentenaarCarlo Gentenaar The Netherlands✭✭ John Le Voi
    edited November 2021 Posts: 77

Wow, thanx Scot, I didn't know a thing like that existed! Excellent!

But I'd still like to know who Heinz Becker is and why the site is gone, so if anyone knows....

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited November 2021 Posts: 825

It maybe the german musician Heinz Becker:

But "Heinz" and "Becker" are rather common names in Germany.

I often wondered who's behind all those Django recordings videos on YT. I mean it's Heinz Becker but who's the guy, you know. His last YT upload was about 6 months ago as well. There's someone on FB with the same name who also seems to be GJ fan doesn't appear to be the person behind the YT account. Hope he's doing ok whoever he is.

Carlo Gentenaar
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • scotscot Virtuoso

I'm pretty sure that Heinz Becker is a real person, as there was also a page with family photographs etc at "papabecker". Most of that website was an aggregation of things available elsewhere - a good thing - but there are also things like the entire French text from La Legende de Django (published in 1958 in Jazz Hot) that's not available anywhere else and is pretty interesting. The cost of putting something like this up without any ads might have gotten to the point where it was not worth the effort anymore - the most likely reason it's gone.

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

I just glanced at some of this stuff and was amazed to find several of the articles were based on short biographies I had written for the UK Hot Club Forum many, many years ago. I had actually forgotten I did it and long since lost the originals. There was some aggro between that forum and this one at the time and they all disappeared.

MichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Carlo GentenaarCarlo Gentenaar The Netherlands✭✭ John Le Voi

He did share some uploads from the Heinz Becker youtube account on his FB page though! Why do you think he does not appear to be the person behind that account?

The guy I found to be the fan of GJ, I didn't see any YT videos on his FB video page. If that's him, he's happily drinking wine then. But I don't know if we're thinking of the same person.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited November 2021 Posts: 825

There are several videos of accordionist Heinz Becker (1908 - 1971) with his combos to be found on the above mentioned channel https://www.youtube.com/user/bibi1944, in the playlists, for example this one:

Another Heinz Becker, composer and musicologist, lived from 1922 until 2006; so neither of the two can be the guy who posted music until recently.

Heinz Becker, orchestral musician, is living in Berlin: https://www.11880.com/branchenbuch/berlin/151193815B34103617/heinz-becker-orchestermusiker.html. I tried to call him and ask him, if he was the one. But he was not at home: someone has to try again.

Another musician with the name Heinz Becker is living in Mainz, no phone number given (clever boy): https://www.xing.com/profile/Heinz_Becker117

Heinz Becker, choir director (retired musical teacher), in Breitenbach.

An amateur musician with the same name living in Solingen ... I have to stop now, this is a bottomless pit.

(DurIng the 17th century there were so many musicians with the name "Bach" in the eastern parts of germany, that the name worked as a synonym for "musician". Nowadays we could use "Heinz Becker" throughout the country.)

Carlo GentenaarBucoBillDaCostaWilliams