DjangoBooks.com

Christiaan's Rhythm Video, "half-muting," and 3-note chord voicing.

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso

I know I have made this case here before but here goes anyway.

Sometimes, when there is so much information available, some of it contradictory, it's hard to find a starting point. When I started in 1993, I was already a skilled rhythm player, but not in any kind of swing rhythm, just straight fours. I did not know any jazz chords though, only country chords. The only book available on the subject was Ian Cruickshank's little book. In this book, he showed the chords for four tunes - Ultrafox (key of F), Manoir...(D), a Gm blues and a Bb major blues. The chords (except for Manoir...) were mostly triads and sounded very right played along with the original 1934-39 recordings. From this simple beginning I taught myself how to apply these basic 3-note chord voicings to all the tunes I wanted to play. In this way I learned a lot about LH economy of motion, voice leading and harmonic simplicity. I spent several years working on this, perfecting my approach, figuring it out on my own.

I did not stop there, of course. I learned a lot about chords because I very much wanted to be the best possible rhythm player I could be. I can play complex chord progressions if it's called for, sometimes that's just fun to do. But if I was at a jam, I would always fall back on the straight rhythm and the simple chords. Like Buco said, that's how you make a band sound good.

Lorenzop - in this world, we don't see a lot of the IV chord used as it's used in popular music - you don't usually see it leading to the V - OK we do use it if the tune is in a minor key. Here a IV is usually a passing chord or used in a turnaround. And in this case that C chord has nothing to do with the II-V-I which is the Am7-D7-G in the resolution.

Playing good rhythm isn't that hard so don't make it difficult. Learn your chord shapes, memorize the changes, practice with the recordings you like - you'll get it. And of course, Nous'che is the best!

PassacagliaBuco
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Scot, it's really great to see you after so long. I recall now some of these thoughts you shared back then. Thanks for the reminder and the wisdom.

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited November 2021 Posts: 187

@Passacaglia & @lorenzop

I understand that using only 8 shapes seems difficult - and honestly there's a lot of theory going on that allows this to work.

I recommend checking out his Christian's Rhythm Workout Series - he teaches you how to apply the 8 shapes practically in songs, gives you a few new rhythm tricks, and if you're subbed on Patreon you get bass-only rhythm tracks to practice with (which is awesome). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-9fa-16N0c&list=PLfSAb6wKuMZx_e-5s2LxoIO6RAyMR4D8f

I could try to explain the shapes for G - C7 - G, or why you can drop most ii's in a ii - V - I progression... but honestly Christians videos are much better than a text wall.

PassacagliaBucobillyshakes
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,471

I thought it must be theory at play. I've a ton of his vids up and am now on his Patreon, hadn't yet gotten to the workout one yet. Thanks! Looking forward to checking it (and so many others) out.

This one, yes?

-Sorry, just saw your link. I'll check out the series. BTW, not sure if you could help on this, but not sure where to access the tabs he mentions (e.g., downloadable tabs at the $5 (now, I think, $6.50? - with the bass backing tracks at the $13.50 level). Do you have any suggestions?

Edit 2: I think I founds the section, but still confused. I'm at the $5 level and this is what I see:

But when I click on it, I get this:

Do I need to go to the highest level to get these? (I'm not sure how actively Christiaan is monitoring the Patreon pg. - asked him about something else, if he responds I'll ask him this there. Maybe he'll chime in here. Incredible resource).

-Paul

• bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    edited November 2021 Posts: 243

One more vid...

Whether you're using 3-note chord voicings or more complex chord voicings, there's a level of playing GJ rhythm that reaches a sort of perfection. Straight up and in the pocket. Nothing easy about it at this level. In this instance, the rhythm guitarists, Ghali Hadfi and David Gastine, are accompanying some of the best soloists in the field of GJ. Last thing you want to do is get in the way. Using the upstroke on the 1 and 3 for traditional GJ swing but nearly imperceptible with a medium-light percussive snap on the 2 and 4.

Passacaglia

Man. Watching these vids, I'm reminded of something Denis says in his rhythm series. "Simple. I didn't say it was easy." Beautiful.

-Paul

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

What is that weird effect that Antoine gets at around 3:20? I can not tell if he is doing that on purpose or is it an accident.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited November 2021 Posts: 187

Hey @Passacaglia - the first tier is only past 2 months. The tier above that is 5. The best tier is unlimited access. The Rhythm Workout videos were done over a year ago, so if you want access to the backing tracks and PDFs you'd need the best tier:

@Wim Glenn - I think it's a technique used on violin, just applied to guitar. Basically fret the note enough to get the harmonic, gently lift your finger up a little and slide. I was never good at it, but I know Luanne Homzy do it on Czardas. I just tried it... and didn't really nail it, but believe it's the right thing.

Passacaglia

@Wim Glenn it is also used on frettles Bass or Lapsteel but much more difficult to do this with a guitar! Since Antoine does it twice in a row i do think he did it on purpose. Antoine seems to be always pretty much playing in the moment and takes a lot of risk in his improvisations so maybe the first harmonic slide was an accident he just liked and repeated. Wonderfull Player!!!

@ChristopheCarrington - right, gotcha. Thanks.

-Paul