DjangoBooks.com

Portuguese Guitar - or Guitarra Portuguesa

2»

Comments

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Just bought myself an old Guitarra off Ebay. Can I just tune it like a guitar?! I'm not sure my brain can handle anything else!

AndyWBuco
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I think that's what Fapy is doing - tune it like a 12 string guitar, and use a regular plectrum.

You might miss out on some of the beautiful chord voicings and harmonies only available using as unhas and the Fado afinacoes.

P.S. have a think about string gauge & tension, as your highest strings, for eg, will be designed for 'B' (Lisboa) or 'A' (Coimbra), not E .

Stick in, and one day you might get to play for the Pope ;-) .....

Jangle_Jamie
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Yes you're right about the chord/harmony possibilities. Ok, I will keep it as it is for now. Photo to follow when I've glued the scroll back onto the headstock!

AndyW

Some photos to show the instrument in its current form. The tailpiece will need to be replaced. The label is almost all gone, but perhaps someone can identify the maker.

billyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsWillie
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Seems like it's a Coimbra model (tuned a tone lower than Lisbon-style ones and a different build).

Intriguing-looking instrument.

I can't make out much from the label (could be something like "special" "concert" model) but I don't know too much about the guitarra portuguesa or its luthiers. I'll ask around though.

Jangle_Jamie
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

There are plenty of videos on youtube, and Jose Lucio has some useful information & starter tips here:

http://www.jose-lucio.com/Pagina2/Folha2.htm

and http://www.jose-lucio.com/WW_Guitarra/Aprender_Guitarra.htm

Judging by the shape of the headstock, I *think* Jamie's guitarra is the least common of the three main sub-types, the "Porto" model. Like many vintage guitarras (like my Lisboa-style Abílio Godinho), it seems smaller bodied than modern instruments.

It should handle the higher-tension Lisboa tuning, if it's in decent condition.

Ask nicely to borrow my "alicate pra lacete" when you're struggling to put the strings on ;-)

-A-

Jangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Yikes! This picture from the jose lucio site looks like it's got ET with tusks on the headstock!

I'm guessing this is the tool you were speaking of, which is pretty cool.

https://www.jose-lucio.com/Fado%202011/Humidade.htm

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsJangle_Jamie