DjangoBooks.com

Right hand struggle

124»

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

It means the music is bland or with no inspiration. "C'est de la soupe!" Like one of those mid-90s mopey singer-songwriter acoustic albums you bought because you might have liked the single. Then you put it on and all the rest of the album is just endless, boring, blah-ness.

AndyWBucoChrisMartin

Is "soup" the same genre as the "elevator music"? Which one is worse or what's worse ;40 hours of community service vs 40 hours of listening to one or the other?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Hey Henrik,

If you're still here looking for advice on rest-stroke picking, I hope some of these esoteric posts have not scared you off. I've been studying this myself for about 8 years and am always looking to improve my technique, including picking. The best advice post I've seen here was by billyshakes pointing you to several good instruction materials. I can personally endorse Yaakov Hoter and Denis Chang for great straight-ahead info on this and other subjects.

Keep it simple. Rest-stroke picking sounds great on a gypsy jazz guitar, OK but different on other guitars. If you want to sound like this music, get a guitar that works with this (archtops sound pretty good too), and practice your technique while having fun with it. As soon as you hear yourself reproduce it, you'll know. Let your ear and interest be your guide.

billyshakesnomadgtr
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

Also, take advantage of any workshops, clinics or private lesson time you can get with any of the pros when they tour in your area. Even Skype lessons are good for this because you can video yourself beforehand and have them review your technique for the lesson. They can provide invaluable feedback by watching you play.

• filippodallastafilippodallasta Berlin, GermanyNew

For those of you interested in a free workshop about the right hand technique, I am running a free online 2-day event on March 26th-27th to teach guitarists to master the right hand technique for Gypsy jazz guitar.

It's free and you can sign up here: https://gypsyjazzguitarmaster.com/event-signup-right-hand-technique/

Cheers,

Filippo

billyshakes
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Sorry, maybe I should explain. I think I read that term in one of Michael Dregni's excellent books on Gypsy Jazz, (if it wasn't Dregni someone will maybe remind me who it was). I believe it is used as a term for the watered down easy listening version of GJ. Probably meant in a derogatory way as if to say it is not the 'real thing'.