DjangoBooks.com

Ivanovski guitar

edited June 23 in Classifieds Posts: 4,833

Saw this on Facebook, Risto is looking to sell, says price is low and negotiable. Guitar is beautiful. If you don't have FB you can always reach out via the email from his website

Took a few FB screenshots

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
BillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New

Nice guitar. I've always been curious about his work so I messaged him about this one recently. More details: Solid walnut back and sides, Spruce top, No truss rod or any rod at all, trad D-shape walnut neck for strength and stability. One year old and stable construction. His price is very reasonable. Would have jumped on it if it was laminate with a truss rod.

Buco

Oh thanks! Walnut, no wonder I loved the look of it. It's probably my favorite wood. He does his own laminates but only as a custom order. His guitars are also very stable without the truss rod. And the neck profile he usually uses is one of the most comfortable. Shallower D, not to deep but not too shallow, just right.

CraigHensley
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New

Good to know! I've always admired his work, and it's incredibly affordable.

Buco
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

The thick-ish all-black binding is cool on that guitar.

Buco

Yeah I really liked that too, it stands out making a nice contrast.

• edited June 24 Posts: 4,833

Wanted to mention here Ivanovski I tried at Django in June, @lorenzop bought it from Risto. He mentioned it in another thread, but instead of mixing up that one I'll tag onto this thread. You'll find his post here

This guitar sounds impossibly good (it may not be everyone's taste). I've never heard bass so huge on the guitar of this type. Incredibly deep and sonorous. No mud in it though, it's well defined.

And then, what's the most amazing thing to me, its dark tone. It's like Pat Martino sound in an acoustic guitar. I love it, over the years I learned that's what I like to hear in a guitar in this style. I only heard a few guitars like that. Last year I tried another Ivanovski and that one had a dark tone too. It was a D hole though with a classical style neck (custom ordered by original owner). Maybe Risto figured out how to get that tone out of a guitar. Looks like he's been combining different tone woods to build a box.

Martin has been doing something similar in the recent models, using different tone woods in the same body to combine different tonal properties. I haven't played Martins built like that but could be that both might be onto something.

Buco,

You said what Ive been thinking for a while… the first thing I noticed with my nylon Ivanovski was the deep bass. Risto said its a very balanced guitar and he is right both ends and the middle all sound right. But the bass really stand out. I love it for rhythm guitar. It really holds it own. Mine is a D hole laminate rosewood sides and back, spruce top.

Buco

In the past, as far as I know, majority of his builds were solid wood. Now it sounds like he's turning to laminates more often. Larry's guitar is laminate mahogany, but with solid rosewood sides.