DjangoBooks.com

Looking for information on a Dell'Arte Jimmy Rosenberg Model -- year, woods used, value, etc?

Hello all -- I'm new to the forum here. I'm a semi-pro player and teacher, but have little experience in gypsy jazz. A couple of months ago my (well off) neighbor gifted me the above guitar. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it. Chances are I'll sell it as it's not really suitable for my style. Here's what I know or can guess so far:

.. I think it was built by John Kinnard in the USA. I've done research on his site, and the label matches this. I've submitted an email on his site, but have not heard back. Perhaps he isn't active anymore?

.. I'm guessing early 2000's but not really sure

.. serial number is C401431

.. a pickup has been installed. My guess is a big tone, but I haven't looked too closely to ascertain yet

.. action needs to be adjusted I think. I'm not sure if the current strings are a great fit. Any recommendations?

.. The guitar is in excellent shape. Basically perfect with the exception of some swirls on the top. The top is gorgeous, looks like bearclaw to me.

.. I've found some that were for sale on the classified's of this site, but all are sold and prices aren't showing.

Can anyone fill me in on anything they know about this guitar, including value? I'd be much appreciative. Photos below.

Have a good 2022 everyone!

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Nice gift!

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Congrats on the guitar. Looking at sold/ended listings on Reverb, the average price is around $2,500.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Jimmy%20Rosenberg&showsold=true

From recent listing I have seen on several sites, that $2,500 seems to be what the asking price is.

You can try contacting this Facebook page to get more info on your particular guitar: https://www.facebook.com/GypsyJazz-Distribution-490245134825443/

You can find specs in one of Michael's old listings: https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/dell-arte-jimmy-rosenberg-2005-2

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

**** (the owner of Dell Arte Guitars) should be able to date your guitar. You can contact him through the facebook link in the last post.

I had one of those guitars years ago (mine also had the bigtone and bearclaw top). Back then (15 years ago) I sold it for 2K, so 2.5K today sounds about right. These are not easy guitars to sell, it is a very small niche market. If you cannot sell it locally, I would suggest consigning it to Djangobooks.com. Michael (the owner of the site, probably has the biggest distribution audience for Gypsy guitars on the planet today. He will get top dollar and his consignment fee is quite reasonable.)

That model has Favino dimensions but is built with solid East Indian Rosewood sides and back (unlike a genuine Favino).

Good luck with the sale!

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited December 2021 Posts: 705

Here is some info from a European Gypsy Jazz site: https://gypsyguitar.de/guitars/recently-sold/11852/dellarte-favino-replik-jimmy-rosenberg

It looks like Jimmy Rosenberg might have owned the guitar previously. Listen to a little Django, Stochelo Rosenberg, and Gonzalo Bergara among others to see if you might like the style. It will certainly improve your playing, regardless of the style you currently play.

• musicylemusicyle New

Thanks for your insights. It is much appreciated!

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991

It looks really beautiful. All it needs is to be picked up and held in the hands of a man who has learned to play nicely.

Great to see it looking so clean and shining. So many Jimmies are jettisoned to leave a mess on the pavement, kicked too soon onto the road. Hacked at clumsily by amateurs.

Still, how I long to hold them warm in my loving embrace to make music with them. Or step onto the road to lift them up gently and if only for a while to hear the story in their voice.

I hope a safe home finds it soon.

How proud they would be to have it there.

Davey.

vanmalmsteen
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@musicyle the first two digits of Dell’Arte serial #s are the year so yours is a 2004.