DjangoBooks.com

Anyone able to identify this guitar?

Comments

• Joshl-mJoshl-m New

Do these neck joints look like they have held up ok? I know these guitars are under a bit less tension than, something like a dreadnaught, but I assume the flat joint was probably chosen for cost savings rather than functionality

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited January 2022 Posts: 959

Oddly this question came up some time ago when I was comparing my Bucolo with another repaired by AndyW. Two apparently otherwise identical guitars but mine had a dovetail joint, and his just a flat butt joint. Anyway, to answer your question I have seen many examples of both and while one would expect a dovetail to have a more secure location all joints really are only as stable as the glue used, and the old hide glue used on vintage guitars is susceptible to heat and humidity and will weaken over time. So in that respect I doubt a simple flat joint is any worse depending on the glue used.

AndyWJoshl-m
  • cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭

A friend of mine who makes musical instruments mentioned a Vietnamese guitar based on the Selmers that he played while convalescing from battlefield injuries. I sent him this thread and will see what he has to say.

Casey

Joshl-m
  • scotscot Virtuoso

This guitar, or one like it, appears in many photographs from the Vietnam war. It certainly shows some Selmer influence. From my own experiences back then, I expect it came from the Phillipines, where they had the most amazing cover bands I have ever heard.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakeswimtnhughes
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New

Wow! Thats a great photo and and a really interesting guitar. Did not expect the headstock

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

His name was Donald Ray Philips. He liked playing some CCR and other songs in the same style.

Bucotnhughes
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    edited January 2022 Posts: 921

Wow. Looks like the bastard offspring of a Patenotte and a Strat. Wonder what it sounded like ?

And, who was Carol ?

wimelianu
    always learning
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

And is that Snoopy's doghouse under his right hand?

Can't anyone find these guys a pick?