DjangoBooks.com

Dress codes and conduct on stage

2»

Comments

In our band, we usually ask each other about how we're going to dress. It's more out of respect for the venue and in part the audience. I say in part because majority of gigs we play are the restaurants, bars and coffee shops. The audience may or may not pay attention to the music. Some always do and it's nice to have a conversation with them between the sets or after the gig and if they sit close enough we always, mostly Bill's role, engage with them. If the majority of what we played were actual concerts, I'd put some thought into what are we trying to convey which includes both the music and the stage presence. That's something we did with the rocks bands I was in. I believe if you approach what you do sincerely and intentionally, the dressing part will take care of itself by being who you are.

Which brings me to what I really wanted to remark and started writing it the same day Willie brought this up but wasn't exactly what he asked about so stayed out. But then, in this video that Ben linked, Russell Hall mentioned it.

So, it's the work ethic in this amateur/semi professional jazz world I'm in that I see people are often lacking. Overal in my experience, the work ethic was on a much higher level in the rock/punk rock etc...world I used to belong to. Individualism in the jazz is partly what makes it great, being able to self express. But there's not nearly enough collective mindset. That's what Russel said, we're here to serve the music first. You have musicians that once they're done soloing, they might as well be in a different country. They're completely removed from the band and the music in the moment, have seen it. You couldn't do that in a classical or a big band orchestra, shouldn't be done in a jazz combo. Then too many times I've heard something like "well this gig is more like a public practice". I get it, it's a way for people to relieve stress about the upcoming show. But it usually happens because the band didn't practice enough. And yes people have obligations and not enough time to get together for a band practice. But let's not approach the gig with the attitude that it's not that important. I've caught myself saying that, I admit, I've been around that mindset for that long. I had to slap myself and tell me not to do that, mentally. Way too much nonchalant attitude in jazz... People kinda figure jazz is about stating the melody and then soloing so all you need is someone who can read charts or knows a lot of melodies and you can show up on the gig. The whole scene is too nonchalant, not the pros but semi pros.

Like any other team endeavor, be it sports or a theater group and so on, the individual will only do as well as the team does and the other way around. Play for the team, if you don't you will not end up on the winners podium no matter how good you are.

bbwood_98WillieMikeKdjazzybillyshakesnomadgtr
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@Willie IKR - how cool are those guys and gals; just a wonderful discussion.

@Buco - Ding ding! Exactly. Further, This is a part of it, but if you are not practicing together, you still have to do more the read a melody and take a great solo; little intros, outros and breaks, modulations sometimes, whatever you can to make it interesting for the audience; as most of us are not able to command the stage/room/attention of everyone for the whole time we play, so bringing them back helps!

B.

BucoWillie
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

IKR=?

Urban dictionary says "I know, right"

bbwood_98
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

TYM!

(thank you, man)

Bucobbwood_98