DjangoBooks.com

New serie of videos : melody of famous Jazz tunes

MartinGMartinG MontréalNew Dupont
in Welcome Posts: 46

Hi everyone !

I'm about to publish a new serie of videos, showing how to play famous jazz tunes (half of them will be in gypsy jazz). Here's what it will look like : https://youtu.be/XA6dCUa9gh0

The videos will display :

• the guitar neck (of course)
  • tabs and music sheet
  • the lyrics when there has some (in Youtube subtitles)
  • A "straight" version of the tune
  • An interpreted version of the tune
  • The chords (that have been transcribed on a Django recording)

The version of Douce Ambiance played here is the one of 1943.

The idea, of course, is to help people to learn new tunes ! If you have suggestions, things that you think might help others and that are not displayed in the videos, please tell me !

Thanks in advance for your help and support ☺️

WilliejonpowlvanmalmsteenrudolfochristBucoTwangBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesAzazzell

Comments

Straight forward, doesn't really need anything else. Maybe it'd be a bit more interesting if you talked about what do you find especially interesting in the melody.

Do you live in Montreal now?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • lorenzoplorenzop New

I am a beginner so perhaps I’m in your ‘target group’. I suggest reversing the order, melody over chords first, then melody showing fretboard and encourage folks to learn by ear.

re an interpreted version, perhaps let viewers know what technique you are using (chord tones, scales, etc) and do a few songs in each method.

if most beginners are like me, we agonize over the chords first, basic fingering - wanting most authentic sound with easiest fingering

Bucobillyshakes
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    edited March 2022 Posts: 355

Until I started sitting in with some bop-centric players several years ago, most of what I learned came out of the American-standards repertory, and I was either singing or accompanying a singer, so any approach that starts with melody strikes me as optimal. But then, I don't read notation, so I've always learned by ear, aided by accurate chord charts (among my favorites are the Mantooth "Best Chord Changes" books), which offer original keys and harmonizations. After that, it's always been a matter of adjusting to the playing situation--my partners often had their own ways of approaching a tune, anything from changing vocal key to fiddling with major elements such as tempo.

Approaching soloing and improvisation is a whole different skill set, but most of my teachers (and partners) have advised starting with the melody and varying its elements--which is also what singers do. You don't start out scatting like Ella, you sneak up on it by fooling around with phrasing, and it's the melody and the lyrics that suggest where to start your foolery.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited March 2022 Posts: 174

Great work.

Will there be Soundslices for it ?

If the target audience is beginners maybe to include some easy chord fingerings like DjangoKOR does ?

• MartinGMartinG MontréalNew Dupont

The video is live !

Thanks a lot for all your great suggestions. I plan to keep it focused on the melody, and to make it accessible to those who read music notes.

For each video I will add important informations in the description, hoping it will help you playing this style even better :-)

I hope you'll enjoy these videos. Any other suggestion is welcome !

geese_comAzazzell
  • AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited March 2022 Posts: 174

Yay, there is a Soundslice for it: https://www.soundslice.com/slices/tJFMc/

Any chance of also adding and syncing the slice to an MP3 only conversion, to take advantage of the Soundslice Enhanced Slowdown (which is not available for video recordings) ? https://www.soundslice.com/blog/199/introducing-enhanced-slowdown-and-perfect-looping/