DjangoBooks.com

Looking for some advice for picking a guitar!

Comments

• CdoufCdouf New

That could be an idea! I read about it (the Djangofestival) here on a large post by some user long ago, giving some details about the event.

However I am wondering if one or two days would be enough for the festival? (I'm guessing you're referring to that with Samois?)

Thank you for your the tip about Jerome Duffell, listened to some of his guitars, sounds great. Probably over my price range haha!

• edited March 2022 Posts: 71

Hello OP and Djangobooks folks,

Longtime lurker, 25+ years experience on the guitar and been playing this style for almost 6 years. It took me until around year 4 to really feel like I was "getting it" and I'm finally able to play again without having to constantly think about my technique. Put differently, I can finally play again without thinking about what I'm doing, if that makes sense lol.

Anyway, I started off on a Gitane that appeared for sale at a decent price and after playing exclusively on it for about 3-4 years, a random windfall of cash appeared so I made the decision to upgrade - ended up grabbing a Dupont from Michael a few years ago. That was a true game changer and despite the neck being quite a bit larger and far less "shredder" like on the Gitane, playing down stroke-heavy arpeggios actually became far EASIER for me and my technique overall felt completely unlocked on the Dupont, just so much more free and relaxed. And although my wallet still hurts, buying the Dupont was the BEST decision I ever made and is perhaps the ultimate factor which allowed me to advance my technique to where it is now.

So my main point is if I had to do it all over again from the ground up, I should have sold some gear and spent $2,000-$3,000 on a Dupont Nomad or similar tier of guitar like the Geronimo Mateos OP is discussing. Obviously, this is completely anecdotal and entirely subjective but I really feel like the Gitane was holding me back the entire time I was playing it and that it may have actually stunted my development - you'll just never get "the sound" from a guitar like that and not just in terms of touch/feel, but consistent dynamics even more so. And in my opinion, touch/feel is entirely what dictates dynamic consistency, which is why the quality of instrument is so important in this style.

tl;dr playing this style for almost 6 years, started off on a Gitane and would have spent $$$s on a luthier-built guitar if I knew then what I know now

BillDaCostaWilliamstnhughesrudolfochristBucoMichaelHorowitzCdouflittlemarkStringswinger
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited March 2022 Posts: 824

My Altamira M01 f antique finish arrived today. The first time I bought an instrument that I did not play before buying it. I had listened to a lot of demos and read rewiews in some guitar forum, so I could be rather sure that it would not only look cool. But what I got blew my mind. A fantastic sound, more "modern" than my old gypsy mystery guitar (but still "typical"), even louder, even easier to play (and my old one is very fine). I can't imagine a better gypsy guitar in this price range (1199 € including a good hardshell case).

vanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliamsMikeKBonesBucovoutoreeniebillyshakesmac63000
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I'll second @Willie as my M01F Cedar top is well made, great to look at, plays like a dream and is SUPER loud. I bought mine used, but in great shape with an excellent hardshell case.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I'll third both @Willie and @jonpowl on the M01F. I bought mine used from @db5 here on the forum, and use it as my travel/airplane/camping guitar. The neck is a bit skinnier than traditional, but it sounds and plays well after a good setup.

Willie
  • tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭

you have to play them, and play them for a while. so if you are spending bigger $ get one that is resalelabe in case it doesn't work out. my first gypsy guitar was a $100 SX (used) and it was (is) great. a bit of luck there; but later i had a Joseph diMauro heart hole that was gorgeous but didn't quite work. you never know. and 7 or 10 days isn't enough to find out, at least for me. it is a bit of a crap shoot.

Willie
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

My Cedar m01F is insane L O U D

jonpowlWillie
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

I'll third both @Willie and @jonpowl on the M01F

I'll fourth that.

Having the spruce-top M01F and the Mateos Jazz B as my modern gj guitars, I like both a lot.

The Mateos seems to have a slightly richer sound to my ear and is a bit more robust in structure but both are a pleasure to play and when others have picked them up, have sounded really nice.

Williemac63000
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Dang, sounds like I need another guitar too 😄

WillieBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesbillyshakesvanmalmsteen
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

You know the old joke…

Q: ”How many guitars does a guitar player need?”

A: ”Just one more!”

billyshakesmac63000Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."