DjangoBooks.com

Eastman DM1 vs Altamira M-10

I just found a used Altamira M-10 online and ordered it. I currently have an Eastman DM1 which has been a great guitar. With the return policy, I can easily give it back with no questions asked. I know I will soon be able to make my own comparison but I just wanted to know if anyone had experience with both so I know what to expect or look forward to. I did verify that it is an M-10 and not an M-01 so it is all solid wood.

I would appreciate any input you may have.

Comments

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

I think the Altamira's are a step up from the Eastman's. I have an Altamira M10D which I picked up used and it's a great value for the tone. It's not the finest lead instrument in an acoustic setting but I love it for rhythm. My friend plays an Altamira M oval and it has a much more defined lead tone. I think they're great for the money. I played an Eastman at the local music store and it seemed very cheap and not nearly as strong as the Altamira. Of course each individual guitar is different and set up is of optimal importance; string height, neck relief, etc.

Also, the solid wood Altamira's seem to be more desirable than the laminates so I think you'll be pleased. Mahogany is a great tone wood for a solid guitar.

rsclossonBillDaCostaWilliams
  • rsclossonrsclosson New

The one I ordered is an oval hole and I am hoping I see the step up you are talking about. The Eastman has been a good guitar for me, plenty of volume and the build quality seems flawless. However if the Altamira is as you described, I think I am in for a treat.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Altamira has been making these guitars much much longer, Eastman really just got into the game. Just something to consider

rsclosson
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I've owned both, and while I do think that the Eastman sounds a bit better, the neck and playability on the Altamira were much more to my liking.

That being said, I personally would not consider one being better than the other. For me, the D shaped neck on the Eastman was not as refined feeling as the C shaped Altamira neck. I found the Eastman to have a drier tone and a bit more volume. I also did not care for the open pore finish on the Eastman.

Again, I wouldn't consider one an upgrade over another, as they are equally wonderful guitars within their price bracket. This is one of those situations where personally preference will win out all other things being close to equal.

vanmalmsteen
  • rsclossonrsclosson New

Just got back from comparing the Altamira to my Eastman. It turns out that I definitely preferred my Eastman. Better tone and more volume. To my preference, the Eastman neck felt nicer. Even the guy in the store said that he liked my guitar better. It might have been that my guitar has had a couple years of vigorous playing. Well, now I know.

• rsclossonrsclosson New

I was thinking about it today and realized that the Altamira could have the wrong strings. They are definitely loop end strings but the color and feel did not look or sound like gypsy jazz strings. They could be banjo strings or similar. I need to try it with proper strings before making a final judgment.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Get both

Willie
  • rsclossonrsclosson New

Final (maybe) update. I picked up the Altamira and put some proper strings on it. (Argentine 10s) What a difference! The guitar came to life. I don’t know what strings were on there. They were loop end, but I don’t think they were GJ strings. They definitely were not Argentine strings and I doubt any were any other brands. This is a totally different guitar than what I played in the store. I believe the choice is pretty clear.

BucoMikeK
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

As an owner of an M-10, I can tell you that I've never regretted buying it. I haven't tried the Eastmans, but the 3 Altamiras I've owned have been great guitars, good bang for the buck, and they seem to hold their value quite well.

richter4208
  • rsclossonrsclosson New

The funny thing about this is that the store selling it had no idea what it was. It was listed on their website in the classical guitar category.

As a result, I got it at a very low price.

vanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliams