DjangoBooks.com

3 favorite bassists?

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited May 2022 Posts: 1,855

Steve Brown, the 1920’s jazz bass pioneer who played with Bix.

Dig this side from 1927…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKi6-g7gRJY

rudolfochrist
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

ok,

I'll drop in my 3.

Cristian Mcbride - groove and creativity

Ray Brown- All the reasons, totally all about the sound and the time!

James Robbins - Luckily I've been blessed to occasionally play with him . . and damn! This man is always in service to the music.

b.

Bucorudolfochrist
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I'd go for

Antonio Lucusati - known for his work with Angelo Debarre

Roy Percy - who plays with Tim Kliphuis

and my friend and talented tattoo artist - Venus Flytrap or Charlotte Patterson as she is known.

bbwood_98
    always learning
  • slowlearnerslowlearner ✭✭

I think Simon Planting deserves a nod. Not only is he the artistic director at DFNW, but he is onstage thru the whole festival as the house bassist.

Buco

Simon is also my personal (Band In a Box) bassist.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Scott LaFaro

Ray Brown

Slam Stewart

bbwood_98
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

Not sure I could do a top 3, but a name not mentioned yet is Henri Texier. An Indian's Week is easily one of my top 5 records.

So many incredible bassists in the Django realm, it would be hard for me to pick my top three.

bbwood_98
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@JSanta wow! thanks for that - I have a bunch of disc's he's on, and worked (once, long ago . . .lol) with a bunch of the same free jazz artists; had no idea - now I will have to dig deeper on Henri Texier!

JSanta
  • JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I'd recommend the following to get a good idea of his own work:

An Indian's Week

Mosaic Man

Mad Nomads

Those are a good place to start. Stephane Wrembel was the one that introduced Henri to me, and he covered my favorite Texier tune, Laguna Laïta on one of the Django Experiment records. He's such a chameleon as a composer and musician, and I always find something new whenever I listen to one of his albums.

rudolfochrist

@JSanta is he related to the excellent violinist Scott Texier (who was in NYC for a minute, and then was teaching at UNT)?