DjangoBooks.com

Proof of Concept!

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Welcome Posts: 867

Hey Guys!

So I am starting to write a method book...not a typical one but one where there are thoughts and ideas to help you become a better GJ player that I have not seen covered before.

The video below is the beginning of my "Proof of Concept" (POC) where I show the ideas and explain the thinking behind it. In the video there are numbers when I play a POC idea. I know using tab will help so I plan to add that down they line. Any thoughts while I assemble this are welcome. This is the start to my biggest chapter....but there are around 17 at this point. That will probably be enough.

I hope when you see this a light bulb goes off....that's the idea! If you need further explanation I'll be happy to do that and may help me explain things better later on. I'll state here this is not for beginners but intermediate and advanced players may get something out of this. This vid will likely be erased for a better version but I need to start somewhere...

enough!

rudolfochristBucoJDRookeAzazzellSwedeinLABillDaCostaWilliamsWillieLango-Djangorichter4208Bonesand 7 others.

Comments

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Bravo! Looks like some really helpful ideas there, Craig..

I'd be interested in such a book, certainly.

Approximately how many POC ideas in all?

Along with the tips for runs you explain, will it include pointers for chord ideas like you intersperse in the video? These would be a bonus for me and others too I suspect.

Scoredog
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Posts: 867

Thanks Bill for asking!

There are lots of POC in each chapter...the above example with POC patterns and how to roll tour own in various Dominant, major and minor areas, all with with very similar easy fingering.

There are 17 chapters and some spinoffs of those chapters each with the equivalent of POC though some may be based on things you have seen before just to get the chapter started.

There are 2 chapters for chordal voicing...Big Band type chordal scales with diminished passing chords and pivot points. These are somewhat based on my studies with Spud Murphy and his EIS course (he was Benny Goodman's arranger conducter). Anyone who learns this chapter will have insight not only into the chords I use (which many others do too) but some insight on how to arrange for actual Big Band. I rarely use "close" voicings that stretch your fingers, I love that sound and use it in arranging but I'm trying to keep things physically easy to play. No "close" voices were used in the above example.

The 2nd chordal chapter is "Kool Khord substitutions". There are a few in the above example. Through some practice and theory I have found ways to make a simple major chord for example become interesting in ways I generally don't hear most guitarists do. Again if it is difficult physically I try to find an easier way to play something. I can make a short example of this if there is interest.

richter4208BillDaCostaWilliamsBucoBonesMichaelHorowitzJDRooke

Looking forward to these.

Scoredog
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

I want a copy for sure.

I'm wondering how you plan to sell the book.

Printed copies are ideal but PDF may be a more practical format for buyers outside N America, I guess.

Scoredog
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B
    edited May 2022 Posts: 248

Great video and this idea is very cool.

One question, will the book have tabs? Asking for a friend 😬

ScoredogBuco
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Posts: 867

So to answer questions, I plan on pdfs with notes and tab with videos showing execution of the pdfs and maybe a few extra ideas. Might make it into a book if there are enough requests.

I may look to get some paid help with tab and notation as that is a big time suck and while I can do some, a lot of it can be overwhelming along with what else is going on in life.

I am adding two quick videos scratching the surface of the chordal ideas...again I want "physically easy" as a goal otherwise it is unlikely to get used. I am putting this up for now on drop box but if anyone wants it on YouTube so they can slow it down I am happy to do so.

And one on chord scales

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3o684qd4cq2112/Chord%20scales.mp4?dl=0

mac63000richter4208Bones
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

That's an immense amount of work, excited to hear more about it as it progresses. Based on these videos, the approach is very accessible.

richter4208Scoredog
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Scoredog really has put a lot into this project. Really appreciate the quality video work here Score, simple enough but effective. Most of us could use these tools!

mac63000ScoredogBillDaCostaWilliamsBones

Hold on man, you're blowing away all of your secrets. What's going to be left to be revealed to us during the special introductory period?

Well, nice thing about this pursuit is that there really isn't any financial motive. Not that there's anything wrong with financial motives, it's just people trying to make a living with what they can offer. But a lot of instructors fall into the trap of feeling pressured to reel in the students, customers, by offering a life changing advice and what not. When you don't have to worry about how many copies you'll sell then you can just offer your experience, you don't have to wrap it into anything else. You can be free to talk about simple things. When most are trying to be more clever than the last person, it's refreshing to hear someone making really nice music out of simple basic chord.

BillDaCostaWilliamsmac63000ScoredogBones
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel