DjangoBooks.com

String Change Problem; Help Please

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I decided to change the strings on my Cigano GJ-10, which I've done at least a dozen times without incident. I'm using Galli Loop end 10s and for some reason the loop on the E bass string won't fit over the ball on the stock Cigano tail piece. I've tried stretching the loop with needle nose pliers, lemon oil and I've spent over half an hour. It won't fit, but all of the others did. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. It's been a while since I purchased them, so I'm pretty sure the vendor probably won't help with a silver plated E string.

Comments

Make a new loop by threading the string through the existing one.

jonpowlwimBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Thanks, Buco. So far the new loop is holding. I'm not sure I really trust it, but I'll leave it on overnight to see how it does. Have you done this before? BTW, the loop fit on my Dupont.

What could possibly go wrong?

Famous last words, right? But really, I don't see anything happening. Maybe, as I'm imagining, the original loop now has a sharp fold or crease where the string is being threaded through and pulling it so it can be point where the string breaks but I'd only see that happening if it's straightened out and then folded again. I'm using the same trick to turn the ball end into the loop end because my tailpiece doesn't accept the ball end.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

This is such a pro tip... Logging this one away in the event of a loop end that is too small

Bucobillyshakes
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I swap strings about ~2 weeks and have had some similar problems on a rare occasion. @Buco is right - just loop it through, with the understanding it may snap if you don't keep on eye on it or swap it soonish (depends on how many hours you're putting on the strings).

Buco
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

So far, so good. The new loop closed a bit overnight and is pretty snug. No rattles, the Cigano actually has never sounded better. It is for sale if anybody needs a decent Cigano GJ-10 with a gypsy style case (single cutaway). I believe it is around 15 years old. $475, pick up in the SF Bay area only.

Buco