DjangoBooks.com

Beginner/intermediate GJ players in San Francisco?

SFGJSFGJ San Francisco, CANew
in North America Posts: 3

Hi Djangologists - I have a couple years of GJ guitar under my belt and recently moved to San Francisco. Any fellow beginner/intermediate players in the area interested in jamming? I've heard about a couple jams around town but sounds like they draw really good or even professional musicians. Wondering if there's anyone like me who's a bit intimidated to play with folks at that level, but wouldn't mind getting together to fumble through the standards, make a zillion mistakes, and hopefully improve our chops that way? Thanks!

Comments

• vilhelmovilhelmo San Francisco Bay AreaNew

I’m in the peninsula and always happy to play with people when I have time. Will be out of town during parts of the summer though..

• Dave_PDave_P Kensington, CANew Altamira M30D

This is me! I live in the Berkeley area but will travel or host. I have a big basement. I'm at the stage where playing with people is absolutely the thing I need to be doing, but I'm not about to just drop in on a jam session unless it's clearly labeled "intermediate". I've spent 10+ years working on jazz, never played out, dedicated to gypsy now for about 8 months.

I just started trying to find local people at the same level a few months ago - the two guys I have played with would be happy to be on an email list. If you guys are interested in that, we could get one going and maybe start a jam that moves around the bay area depending on who wants to host.

I assume you guys are both guitar players?

• Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6

I don't live there anymore, but there's a great GJ club down in Los Gatos that meets once per month.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/235375087014191

• SFGJSFGJ San Francisco, CANew

Hey Dave! Yes I'm yet another guitar player (the accordionists, violinists, etc. among us made the smarter decision to diversify :) ). Sounds like we're in a similar place in our GJ journeys. I live in a 1 bedroom that's not conducive to jams but would happy to come over to the East Bay. Feel free to shoot me an email (in my profile). Vilhelmo, same to you!

And thanks for the tip Brad! Looks like a great scene down there.

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited June 2022 Posts: 705

I'm in the East Bay as well and would love to jam with other intermediates. The Freight and Salvage has the occasional Gypsy Jazz concert, although Django's B'day jam hasn't happened since Covid. Bireli LaGrene is playing June 15 & 16 at $40 a ticket. I'm not sure, but I don't think he is playing gypsy jazz. I saw Christophe Carington play with Paul Mehling and HCSF in Port Costa a week ago, and they were really good. It's good to get on the Bay Area Gypsy Swing Club mailing list per Brad Herman. It is a nice jam and they get great guests like ***** ***, Samson Schmidt, Paul Mehling, Vic Wong, and Dave Rickets (from Gaucho). There are Swing Jams with Olivier Zyngnie some Sundays at the Freight. Olivier may do some Gypsy Jazz workshops or jams.