DjangoBooks.com

Dunlop Guitar Pick “Notch”

markusmanouchemarkusmanouche Baltimore, Maryland, USANew Eastman DM-1

Hey Everyone!

Reading lots of posts here got me to try out the round side of a Dunlop Derlin 500 2.0mm pick, and I love it!

This is probably a REALLY dumb question, but if anyone can appreciate obsessing over small details, it’s us 😃. Due to the manufacturing process (injection molding), there is a little notch artifact on the top of the picks. Does this ever clip the string when you are using the round side to play?

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I suspect a fingernail/manicure file could smooth that pretty quickly. Problem solved.

Buco
  • markusmanouchemarkusmanouche Baltimore, Maryland, USANew Eastman DM-1

Actually, I should have said it’s more of a notch than a stub, so I can’t file it down. I updated my original posting. Thanks for the comment!

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I use Dunlop picks, but I use the side of the pick, not the pointy end or the top. (That little stub is on what I would consider the top). When GJ players talk about using the round part of the pick, to me that means the side. So that stub wouldn't be an issue.

wimrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Do you play with the very top of the pick? I would have thought playing with the "shoulders" would give you slightly better control and attack?

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

^ Yup, the "round" part people talk about is the side not the top (see pic on https://djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/13633/sideways/p1)

Mind you, if Bireli suddenly decides to start playing with the top of the pick, in a few months time everyone in Paris will be playing that way, and then a few years later everyone in US will do the same 😋

markusmanouchebillyshakesrudolfochristjonpowlBillDaCostaWilliams
  • markusmanouchemarkusmanouche Baltimore, Maryland, USANew Eastman DM-1
    edited June 2022 Posts: 16

Just to clarify, this is the portion that I’m playing with, but the notch is close-ish to the top left of that box.