DjangoBooks.com

New 21CD Django collection coming next month

nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault
edited July 2022 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 123

I'm not sure how much this differs from Integrale but it is significantly less expensive and also available on USB as well as CD.

Bayard Musique - The Genius of Django, S. Grappelli & D. Reinhardt

Here's the announcement on their FB page:

Label Ouest | Facebook

RipBucowimBillDaCostaWilliamsadrian

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

This is the set that Samy Daussat and Max Robin had something to do with? They were selling them at Samois last week. Someone needs to do some research to find out if this is any improvement over the Integrale set.

Which has the more complete track listing and is there any more benefit to be had from modern 'remastering' methods?

Certainly a much nicer price.

• nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

Yep, that's the same set. I couldn't really find any details about it on the label's site though. Maybe someone closer to Samy and Max can find out.

• TydidesTydides

I got that new Electrified Django 1947 (which is included in this 21 CD set) and I thought it was often a big improvement. Duke and Dukie versions (the two they have on there) are some of my favorites and it really needed a good EQing, etc. Sounds better than the other releases I’ve heard.

Samy’s been releasing some tracks in YT and they do sound good. I was checking the mp3 previews on the website and I’m not sure…some tracks sound quite good. Others don’t sound “bright” enough to my ears. Maybe those previews aren’t representative.

• TydidesTydides

Also- what is this USB thing? Does that mean you get mailed a usb stick? No download? Why? That doesn’t make any sense. If you buy the CDs do you get downloads as well??

(asking if anyone has bought and can confirm thx)

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I have no experience with the USB, but with fewer and fewer computers these days coming with CD drives, it is a creative way to get the music in a physical format. Then again, a simple download code should do the same thing? That said, just about every phishing/cyber security training I've ever received shows the bad guys injecting malware to a system via cool USB sticks with things you want on them. 🤷‍♂️

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited August 2023 Posts: 636

I probably have most of these as Bayard CD box sets, but having them all on one USB disk along with a booklet is tempting from a logistical point of view. I often find myself combing through CD listings when I'm working on a new tune.

Postage is 7.50 euros for Europe it seems.

The number of tracks recorded by Django is phenomenal of course - I wonder if there is any other artist who recorded so many different tracks in the period up to 1953 (or beyond I guess).

wim
  • NotoNoto

Am I reading this correctly? It's approximately $40 for a USB of 21 CDs or is that for each CD?

• TydidesTydides

That’s a good point about the malware. Plus it just doesn’t make sense. It’s a win win to offer downloads.