DjangoBooks.com

How do you play this tricky lick?

2»

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

You can even see it in Frank's rhythm playing. They are just a steam train flying down the rails. Also fun to see the brushes being played on a few Manhattan phone books. Probably some folks on the scene now that have no clue what those yellow & white books are! Take those phonebooks (1), the Cathode Ray Tube television (2), and then the grainy feel of what was certainly an old VCR tape camera (3)... hard to believe that one little device (smartphone) would replace all three of those items in less than 20 years.

What has lasted is the music that is played. Thankful we now have a way to more easily record and remember intimate, temporal moments such as these.

BucoWillievoutoreenieBillDaCostaWilliams

A little background on Frank Vignola's Gypsy Jazz Jam video, iirc the actual footage was shot years prior to it being released by Mel Bay in the early-to-mid 2000s (which is when I got it, still have the original DVD), pretty sure it was after a concert they had performed at Carnegie Hall. Maybe someone with more knowledge can clarify? Regardless, Jimmy's playing throughout is insane, crazy how much of a prodigy he was (and Frank keeps up quite well, true pro).

And yeah, those are the real tempos, set me back for years thinking I could never play the style lol. I really love the Pent Up House from it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khyX5uLRMuU

BillDaCostaWilliamsvanmalmsteenBuco
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

Yes. It was in a hôtel room after their concert at Carnegie Hall.

If you look closely, the drummer plays on the Manhattan yellow pages. I can see it clearly on my DVD.

And if you check on YouTube you can find the rehearsal backstage before the concert.

And for the lick, Stochelo explains it on his video " In the Style Of Stochelo Rosenberg " Hyperhip Media.

He says that he pick every notes unless when he plays it very fast, which he uses sweeping.

With a clear demonstration.

Sorry for my average english

voutoreenieBillDaCostaWilliamsmac63000BucoBonesrudolfochrist

By the way, Dario Napoli just put out a short video with this lick

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

I always wondered what happened to this session?

billyshakesBucowim

Never knew this one existed. Thanks! Frank is in the top form too.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

I seen it for, just about as long and the hotel version, a while. I always speculated that frank had the idea to hit the studio while jimmy was in town. I believe frank has talked about releasing some of it, but it probably has to do with contracts and legal stuff. I’m surprised you haven’t seen these clips, glad you have. Have you finished writing bucology?