DjangoBooks.com

Bugera AC60 vs Fishman loudbox mini

Hi

I have a chance of one or the other. Won't be playing any large venues just cafe type joints.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I own a Bugera and previously owned a Fishman mini loudbox. The Bugera wins hands down.

constantine
    always learning
  • HenrikHenrik New

Hi Dude,

Hope all is good. We've yet to meet in 'ol Glesca toon'.

I went ahead today and bought a Fishman..it seems ok tbh. I couldn't find a Bugera for love nor money. I got it super cheap and it's in immaculate, boxed and almost new condition.

regards

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited August 2022 Posts: 705

I used to own the Fishman and I thought it "colored" the sound too much. Guys who play country, blue grass or rock don't seem to mind, but I always think I can hear when somebody is using a Fishman.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

+1 for the Bugera between those two choices. It's literally 90% of the way to an AER compact 60 for a fraction of the price. @V-dub has a comparison on his website too.

To mimic what others said - the Fishman is nice, but is inherently built for more traditional flattop scooped sound. Doesn't sound very good for Gypsy Jazz.

• Any chance of getting a decent gig volume with this and audio technica pro70? I know that feed back and volume are always an issue with that sort of thing but i know Jonathan Stout will sometimes do small gigs with just a mic and his aer. Also I use a resonator which at least gives me more volume to put into the mic.

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022 Posts: 325

Here's that article. I agree that the Bugera is an amazing value and punches well above its weight.

https://paniquejazz.com/2018/10/26/bugera-ac60-vs-aer-alpha/

For my reso w/ pro 70, I use a mount I designed that mounds behind the bridge, pointed at the cone, never had a problem getting a good volume:

For selmacs, I use the same mount for D holes. For petit bouche, I mount the mic INSIDE the soundhole with the clip. It's the most feedback resistant setup I've found, and you see other players doing it this way all the time

I played an outdoor gig on Sunday and a friend used Loudbox (I think Artist, it was a bigger box) with Pro 70 and Vic's clip behind the tailpiece. Really nice acoustic sound and he was getting plenty of volume without feedback.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,854

I was a happy Loudbox user for five or six years, and then my guitar partner went out and bought a Fishman column amp with two 3-pin inputs and two quarter inch inputs.

For our duo gigs we’ve tried both the guitar jack inputs using our pickups and also tried a couple of stand-mounted 57’s… we greatly prefer the 57’s and they’ve been plenty loud for our summer patio gigs without any need to use our pickups at all.

Which is actually fine with us! The pickups are great but the mics are even more faithful to the acoustic sound of our guitars.

The column lives on a tripod right in the middle between and slightly behind us where we can both hear each other perfectly, and we’ve never had a single bit of feedback.

Ever.

It’s a @#$&*! miracle for old school guys like us with still-vivid memories of the bad old days.

Remember hopefully trying to ditch the amp and plug your archtop (for there were no gypsy guitars in those days) directly into the PA? Uh huh. Remember those evil little black cube pickups we used to have to glue on our guitar tops? The ones that sounded like shit? With feedback galore? They are only a bad memory now, and it’s a wonderful new century to be an acoustic guitarist.

Good luck in finding your own happy place,

Will

PS Just in case you’ve never used Shure 57’s they cost about a hundred bucks and are near-indestructible.

PPS The first thing we did when we got the new PA was to spend a couple of hours fiddling with all the settings until we had each channel just right. Then we took pictures of those settings with our cell phones so we can always look back at them if necessary…

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."