DjangoBooks.com

You need to burn your gypsy jazz guitar!

Comments

• AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited August 2022 Posts: 174

Here's a video about how effective clickbait is:

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,309

I also am getting tired of these crazy faces and click-baity titles. I imagine like all things overused, it will have its own decline. Here's a video I saw not too long ago about this phenomenon and why it works.[EDIT: removed same video as Azazzell posted above] (TLDW; you can make a good thumbnail that improves views without being a clown about it)

Like you say, @Wim Glenn , it could be they are counting on those non-genre folks to "stumble upon" their videos or get it recommended to them by the yt algorithm. I recall the Guitare Improvisation channel has the most subscribers/views/videos of any other GJ channel (https://gypsy-jazz--ranker.firebaseapp.com/), yet he either chooses default views or else a very simple, plain thumbnail. So the clickbait thumbnail isn't a sure fire way to success. (btw, there are plug-ins that can get rid of those thumbnails if so desired).

TwangBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,161

Martin Gioani’s channel is great (Guitar Improvisation) but you have to remember that most of his subscribers come from his super high quality backing tracks (and I use them myself when I’m on YT). I think the biggest or one of the biggest jazz youtubers is Jens Larsen, and even he has to rely on some kind of gimmick for titles and thumbnails.

imo as long as the clickbait isn’t too exaggerated and somehow relates to the actual video, it’s fine. CvH ‘s income is mainly derived from his online content, and he has to do what he has to do to make it work, and it looks like it’s working so I don’t see why he should stop that formula. IMO, his videos are an example where the clickbaitiness isn’t too exaggerated.

AzazzellBillDaCostaWilliams
  • TwangTwang New

I do like the way CvH often plays much of the content of the lesson (licks etc) as an introduction to the video. You can then immediately decide whether it’s going to interest you or not.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • krzyskrzys New

Haha when you want to find that old CvH video on a specific topic... good luck unless you remember the random clickbait associated with it.

TwangwimBillDaCostaWilliams
  • TwangTwang New

He does joke about it himself though

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited August 2022 Posts: 187

I agree the over-the-top facial expressions and titles can be laughable. Yet not doing it is literally leaving money on the table at best. At worst, you get no traction or awareness for your brand so you end up net negative in your efforts.

If you like their content, and want to avoid the "modern day selling out," then support them on Patreon, buying their courses, CDs or whatever.

But don't slight someone for trying to make a living in music any way they can. Especially when they've already spent hours on quality content they give away for free.

Twang
  • TwangTwang New
    edited August 2022 Posts: 414

I have, and will continue to, spend money supporting many gypsy jazz YouTubers. I also make an effort to plug their videos and spread the word. It would be ungrateful and just not cool to "slight" these good folks if I didn't. I've tried to keep it light in my posts and at the end of the day it's just a mild irritation and something to talk about with fellow musicians. I'm not damning them to Hell for it. I love what these guys do and only wish these resources were available when I was a kid. People should be able to speak their mind but how it's done is important. It's not my intention to throw down the gauntlet here and I agree with what you're saying anyway Christophe.

billyshakes

Actually CVH videos have lately been very simple and straightforward with titles. At least six months now it's been; this lick, that phrase, chords to spice up with, analyzing various players etc... Thumbnails too, just bright colors, occasionally goofy face and some emojis but overall all in good taste.

That video above with Veritasium reminded me of a conversation I had with one of my customers. He's incredibly successful financially and a master salesman. I on the other hand was having a bit of a problem selling the stuff I was installing at the time, automated home systems and such. We had a talk where I was telling him along the lines how what I sell isn't something that anyone truly needs and I didn't feel comfortable what I partially saw as trying to suck people into this trap of making a sale. And he said all you need to do is ask yourself two things: can you truly stand behind the product and do you truly believe that this product will bring value into people's lives. So I said yes to both and he said well then you shouldn't feel bad about it.

And that's what the guy from Veritasium was saying. He wants to create science documentaries better than what you see on broadcast TV and he needs to get people interested in order to continue doing that. So he's passionate about what he's doing and believes in value it brings to people. But as he put it so well in explaining type I and type II ways to present your videos, you can still do so with integrity.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsTwang
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

If you like their content, ... then support them on Patreon, buying their courses, CDs or whatever.

I agree with this statement 100%. If you like the stuff that is being produced, support it with real money, not just with a channel subscription or a video view. These free videos are really marketing for their business, which is effectively music education. ~5 Euro a month for CvH's patreon for access to 2 months of his lessons is great value. Even his top tier is still the same price for a single 30 min lesson with a typical music store teacher, but for much more material. So, there is most definitely value to be found if you find the particular teacher whose method works for you. These free videos are their way of allowing you to assess that. It is incredibly transparent.

BillDaCostaWilliams