DjangoBooks.com

higher quality replacement tailpiece for Eastman DM1?

2»

Comments

• daverepairdaverepair Vermont, USANew Craig Bumgarner 'Selmer' style

ChrisMartin's photo shows the same deformation as on these Eastmans: bending down at the tip, leveraged by the D & G strings. The Miller tailpiece on my Bumgarner shows almost no deformation. The studs are different on the two brands of tailpiece: on the Eastman, they are 'tall', but on the Miller they are 'short'(they project less), as on the original Selmers(I believe), as shown on Francoise Charle's blueprint. Short studs would exert less leverage, and I'm guessing the metal thickness is less on the Eastmans, than the Miller tailpiece(I need to confirm that, with a dial indicator).

mac63000ChrisMartin
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

That makes perfect sense that taller posts would be more easily pulled forward from string tension!

ChrisMartin
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

You could put a small wooden shim-block under the tailpiece and over the interior tailblock (where the tailpiece angles over the body) to raise the tailpiece just a little bit so the tailpiece doesn’t touch the top.

A spruce block ~1 cm wide sitting over the tailblock wouldn’t affect vibration of the top. Don’t make the block too tall, you want to keep the breakover angle behind the bridge as close to the originally-designed angle as possible.

BillDaCostaWilliams