DjangoBooks.com

Open pore guitar

I’m about to receive, in the next month or so, an inexpensive new GJ guitar that is ‘open pore’. I’ve read a little bit about guitars being open pore and wonder if the community knows whether it’ll benefit from varnishing or that there is a benefit in keeping it open pore. Is it easy to varnish it myself ( I’m pretty handy) or are there drawbacks? Or just leave well alone?

TIA

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

One thing to be aware of is that when you sweat it might stain your guitar as it will absorb and change the color of the wood

Jojo
  • JojoJojo London UK

That’s why I think varnishing may be the way forward. Obvs they’ve done it to keep costs down but I’m wondering whether there are any ‘sonic positives’ to keeping it open pore

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Open pore is still finished, so it can be cleaned and won't necessarily stain. It just doesn't have "filler" in the open pores (of types of wood that have open pores). Sonically, depends what kind of finish is in a closed pore guitar. Quality thin finishes (over pore filler) sound just as good, possibly a bit brighter if the pore filler somehow stiffens the wood.

I'd leave it alone, as is.

billyshakesrichter4208BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBones
  • BonesBones Moderator

Varnish? You mean lacquer or shellac, right?

I prob wouldn't mess with it. Yes open pore just means they didn't use 'filler'. It still has finish on it undoubtedly. No way it is bare wood.

• JojoJojo London UK

Thanks guys.

There’s been a misunderstanding on my part, particularly with the term ‘filler’ which I’ve equated to ‘varnish’. Will look further into it so I know what to do when it arrives (hopefully….it’s coming from the EU into the U.K.)

• BonesBones Moderator

Filler is a material they put on BEFORE the actual finish (lacquer or shellac). They only use it on open pore wood like walnut to FILL the open pores, so the final finish goes on level (no little dips in the pores).

Honestly, I would not mess with it. If you wanted to use filler I'm pretty sure you would have to completely strip the old finish first. That would be a huge job, fraught with peril, and probably unsuccessful.

• JojoJojo London UK

Thanks, Bones. This helps a lot; I know very little about the manufacture of acoustics

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Finishing is a huge portion of building a guitar, time-wise, not just a quick thing at the end. And some very expensive guitars have open-pore finishes, anyway.

Bones
  • BonesBones Moderator

pdg, yes for sure. Finishing is a huge issue and kind of terrifying to me and I've built like 15 guitars from scratch. Non trivial.

Jojo